Double brew day any suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
I'm going to brew 2 10 gal batches on Sunday and was wondering if any one had any suggestions or tips for me.

I plan on starting at 5am. first batch is a belgain Wit with 90 min boil and second is an Oktoberfest with a 90 min boil.

Brew on
CraigBrew

Get some Helpers - they can help clean up, wort chilling and putting it in the fermenter while you start the next.

Extra burners - you and be getting the water ready for the next batch while brewing the first. Especially for large batches like that.

Dont drink any beer during the first batch.

I do this all the time. It usually takes 2 of us around 6-7 hours to finish if we are on top of everything. You can mash the second wihile your boiling the first, that's the biggest time saver for us.

The biggest rate limiting parameter is heating up water. It's a good idea to mash one beer while boiling the other, but you'll have to heat up the water for the second mash during the first mash. Hopefully you've got a couple of burners, otherwise you'll have to plan something out to get the most efficience time usage of your burner. Good luck

Well my wife and 7 month old will be helping/getting in the way does that count. I do have more that one burner so I will be mashing the second batch during the first boil. I will post after or during the brew day. No beer for the first batch I can handle that.

Good luck man, sounds awesome. I'm planning on going after 3 batches this weekend, with 2 in 1 day as well. I'll only be doing 5-gallon batches though, so that'll help. This is the first time in 2011 that I don't have anything in a fermenter so it's time to fill 'em up!

Get ready for a LONG day. I do them every once in a while to get caught up, and at the end of the day I'm exhausted.

Make sure you have everything ready, grain milled, hops measured, etc.

Yeah I forgot to mention the 2 burner thing and I'm figuring you've got 2 kettles to seperatly heat water and wort. I batch sparge with no mashout so i'm heating my sparge water about 25mins before my mash is due to drain so everything is close to ready all at the same time. Have fun brewing.

Like someone said above, measure as much out as possible the night before. Water for strike and sparge for both batches, all the hop additions, grains (milled if applicable)

If you are planning on doing double batches often, then I would suggest getting a bucket heater. You can heat the water up while you sleep then wake and strike

Back