Dont use pellets to dryhop keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodweisen

Reaction score
I made a irish red kit and didnt realize it was going to taste as bland as killians so i decided as i was kegging it that i would throw my stainless teaball filled with pellethops in hopes that it would kick it up a notch well as expected it did. It tastes like a nice decent(what i think of) pale aleish beer but the pellets are pulling through the holes of the ball and now have clogged my diptube guess im gonna have to pull the post and clean it out hopefully not to many times.
This is what ive learned thus far.
1) dont make a beer that the only example you know of it sucks!
2) dont use pellets to dryhop in the keg it turns your first few pulls into something that does also suck!

Any you hooligans care too sound off?

Someone else suggested using unflavored floss tied to the teaball so you can remove it before carbing and/or tapping. That's what I'm doing now. Sounds like the pressure of drawing the beer is sucking out some particles.

Take a 1-gallon paint strainer bag, add your hops, add some sanitized marbles, stainless or whatever for weight (optional), and tie some unflavored dental floss around the closed bag. Close the corny with the end of the dental floss outside, and the length such that bottom of the bag hangs just above the bottom so that it cannot interfere with the dip tube. Pull the bag if you wish when the beer achieves desired aroma/flavor. No worries.

Take a 1-gallon paint strainer bag, add your hops, add some sanitized marbles, stainless or whatever for weight (optional), and tie some unflavored dental floss around the closed bag. Close the corny with the end of the dental floss outside, and the length such that bottom of the bag hangs just above the bottom so that it cannot interfere with the dip tube. Pull the bag if you wish when the beer achieves desired aroma/flavor. No worries.

pretty much what I do. The pellets will leave my beer a tad hazy (even in a bag) but neither have clogged my diptube. And yeah, stay away from anything made by Coors ;>)

-d

pretty much what I do. The pellets will leave my beer a tad hazy (even in a bag) but neither have clogged my diptube. And yeah, stay away from anything made by Coors ;>)

-d

I use a bag for pellets, the tea ball for leaf hops. I don't use a marble or anything to hold it down- it just floats in there. I don't pull it out, because I just leave it in until the keg is finished. The "thicker" hops bag doesn't let the pellet sludge come out, so it works great!

Ladies' knee highs, nude color, the kind that come in 2s in those little plastic eggs for about 50 cents at Wally world work great for dry hopping. Soak in sanitizer, fill with hops, either pellet or leaf, tie them off and drop them in. Much cheaper than paint strainer bags so I just dispose of them when I'm done dry hopping. I've never had a problem with pellets escaping enough to clog the tube.

Back