Dont tell the oxygen police ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
Well i just had my first bad bottling day. For some godly unknown reason i thought it was fine to dry hop 4 oz of homegrown hops LOOSE in my fermentor. I use spigots in buckets. I thought tbe beer would just "filter" through a little slow. I had to use a pot to scoop up my beer from fermentor to bottling bucket. To make things even more interesting, since my volume was high i threw some in a gallon wine jug ( not dry hoped) and no way to siphon that either . I used a musclen ? Cloth to dump that in bottling bucket and splashed like kid in bathtub with a rubber ducky. And btw it smells godly and hydro sample was even good. Lots of columbus and zues little cascade and galena. My first harvest of hops too from second year plant. Will my beer taste like oxygenated crap? So disappointed about this one .

Time to invest in an auto siphon and some tubing bud.

If you were really splashing a lot you should drink that beer ASAP the hops are going to fade and even worse the beer is going to start tasting like cardboard the longer it sits. Once they're all carbed up keep them chilled all the time if possible, and just drink em down.

On the bright side they're going to taste pretty awesome for a few weeks, so enjoy and congrats on brewing with your own hops, I want to be able to do that too one day, super cool

Yes. Dumping the whole batch from vessel to vessel like that more than likely caused an incredible amount of oxygenation. It will taste/smell great at first, but soon it will become a mess, reminiscent of wet, moldy cardboard.

You definitely can dry hop loose hops or pellets in the fermentor. I use pellets and just toss them in loose no problem..they break apart and do their thing. Before I bottle, I make sure to cold crash for a couple days to settle out the hop particles. Then I transfer (via autosiphon and some tubing) to my bottling bucket and bottle normally. I rarely get hop particles in the bottles, but it happens occasionally.

In the future, do everything you can to NOT cause bubbles/foam/agitation to a beer once it's done fermenting.

If you are carbing with sugar, the yeast may scavenge most of the O2 you introduced, and help cut the damage (that's what I would do in your situation at this point)

If you are carbing with sugar, the yeast may scavenge most of the O2 you introduced, and help cut the damage (that's what I would do in your situation at this point)

In this case there is way too much oxygen introduced for the yeast to use it all in carbonating the bottles.

This is one to drink/share as soon as possible after they are carbonated. Before oxidation makes them undrinkable.

Just posting a follow up - the beer is amaZing so far and im doing everything i can to drink it as fast as possible. Lesson learned. I dont know why i often have to learn the hard way but w/e.

Just posting a follow up - the beer is amaZing so far and im doing everything i can to drink it as fast as possible. Lesson learned. I dont know why i often have to learn the hard way but w/e.

That is the homebrewers way :p. Something different always has to go wrong ;)

Back