Dont break up with someone- It could cost $180K

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely ridiculous. What a bitter old hag. At least she probably got that debt paid off, which was all he was good for to her from the beginning anyways, I'm sure.

That has got to be the most asinine thing I have heard in a very long time. There are probably hundreds of these ridiculous cases a day that people win BS settlements. Hooray for the justice system.

"People shouldn't be allowed to do that and hopefully he'll think twice before he does it to someone else," said Shell."

She's right you know.... He shouldn't have been allowed to pay off $30K of her debts when they weren't even married.

And I'm willing to bet she's pretty spot on with the "He'll think twice before he does it to someone else" comment as well

Imagine if they were married and this was a divorce instead of a breakup...:drunk:

This guy is probably lucky in the long run

This is a horrible, horrible decision. It's mind-boggling that the promise to marry someone can be viewed as legally binding. What if he decided that he just wasn't in love with her, should the courts be forcing him to go through with his "promise" anyway? The fact that it was her debt that caused him to leave is irrelevant. This sets a horrible, horrible precedent that I hope an appeals court throws out immediately.

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment, but come on -- "he canceled the wedding by leaving Shell a note in their bathroom." What a wuss.

Rick

Eh. Shes clearly a psycho *****. Who needs that stress?
Go have a beer with the boys or deal with crazy ***** break up?

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment, but come on -- "he canceled the wedding by leaving Shell a note in their bathroom." What a wuss.

I don't know if she deserved any more than that for being a dishonest old hag up to her eyeballs in debt.

Be sure to run a credit check against any prospective spouse before getting engaged. :D

She's a gold-digging whore after the guy's money to pay off her irresponsibility, and probably wouldn't even do the EF anyways.

I love the old joke,
Why is divorce so expensive?

BECAUSE IT'S WORTH IT.

Now it is becoming why is breaking up so expensive?
I knew anyone could sue over anything, I'm just shocked that sometimes they win.

*shrug*

and here I saw something different.

They 'fall in love'. He proposes and they agree to live where he is at. She quits her job and moved. He dumps her.

So yeah-- she invested in the relationship in a very real, monetary fashion (leaving the investment she had in her job) and that cost was made hers alone when he dumped her.

Now, was there trouble in paradise? Oh yeah. But is she unnecessarily wrong here? That I'm not so sure of.

*shrug*

They 'fall in love'. He proposes and they agree to live where he is at. She quits her job and moved. He dumps her.

So yeah-- she invested in the relationship in a very real, monetary fashion (leaving the investment she had in her job) and that cost was made hers alone when he dumped her.

Now, was there trouble in paradise? Oh yeah. But is she unnecessarily wrong here? That I'm not so sure of.

Sonds more like she was using him to pay off her debt. When he realized it he bailed.

*shrug*

People leave their jobs to follow a loved one all the time. Hell, my wife quit her job at a school she loved when we got married and moved out here. It's part of being in a relationship. Again, making there be HUGE financial consequences for what's a very natural occurance (boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy falls out of love with girl) sets a horrible precedent.

The rub is the fact that she allegedly lied about additional debt. Who knows if she lied or not or what that amount was. Let's say she admitted the 30k to him and said, I can't really move out to you without taking care of it first. He pays. Then when she feels like she's all settled in, she reveals there's another 50k of debt. Would you marry a liar with horrible money management skills?

Marriage IS the contract and not before.

See, I think her debt is a red herring. It doesn't matter WHY he broke up with her. It could have been the debt; she could have been cheating on him; maybe she was a ***** to his mother. The reason he broke up with her shouldn't matter; he should have the absolute right to sever this relationship. A *promise* to marry should not be a legally binding agreement, people should have the right to change their mind.

If he was able to pay the $30K off of her debt, I can only imagine what the engagement ring cost that I am sure he will never see again. I can only hope that a realistic judge is in the chair for the appeal. What a disgrace.

See, I think her debt is a red herring. It doesn't matter WHY he broke up with her. It could have been the debt; she could have been cheating on him; maybe she was a ***** to his mother. The reason he broke up with her shouldn't matter; he should have the absolute right to sever this relationship. A *promise* to marry should not be a legally binding agreement, people should have the right to change their mind.

You're right. Unless he put the promise of marriage in writing and had it notarized, the case should have been thrown out.

This is as bad as the palimony cases that were popular back in the '90s. Those were shot down as being an attempt to re-instate common-law marriage. I think the same idea applies here.

Back