Doing away with secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
So I've always transferred to a secondary fermenter after a week or two because thats what used to be recommended. I know that now the recommendation is to leave in primary for at least 2 weeks and then go strait from primary to the keg (or bottling bucket). So my question is that after about a week and beer has reached its final gravity do I keep it at the 68 degrees that I fermented it at for the next week? I have a basement that is about 55 degrees and a fermwrap with a temp controller so I can set it at any temperature above 55. I'm just wondering if there is an ideal temperature for this second stage where the yeast is cleaning up fermentation byproducts or if it is the same 68 degrees that I ferment at? Thanks.

I keep it 3 weeks and a steady 65-68 whatever the yeast calls for. Not a bad batch yet. Cross fingers

Back