doing a BIAB bag in my mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
I know this sounds weird but I just tried it out of wanting a cheap solution.

I have brewershardware kettles and was never happy with the falsebottom that came with the kettle. It always allowed grain around the sides, and ordering a new one from Norcal was expensive and time consuming as I had to do the measurements on the hole size and placement for the pickup tube and associated grommet (in addition to the normal size and height). Mostly it was just more money.

In addition getting a pick up tube through that bottom when replacing it was not much fun.

I just decided to try the bag from a brew in bag in my mash tun just sitting on top of my false bottom.

Man was that easy. Wort was super clean and clean up was a breeze. I just gravity drained the mash tun and let it sit till I finished brewing and then hoisted out the bag directly into a hefty yard back. I turned the brew bag inside out in the hefty bag, shook and that was it. All my grain now in a trash bag that doesnt drip or tear.

Anyway, I just had not seen a post about doing this so I thought I would share.

Lining a standard MT with a BIAB bag is not all that uncommon. Users report cleare wort, less pump and chiller clogging, stuck sparge remedy by just lifting the bag a bit, and easier cleanup.

Latest posts

Back