Dogs and fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
My wife and I decided to get a dog. In my yard among the hot peppers, tomatoes and other vegetables is a hop crown which produces a hell of a lot of hops. I know hops are lethal for dogs, but I never read anything about hiw dangerous fresh hops are. My dog loves to be in the yard, but if being out there is dangerous for him, i'll get rid of the hops. So how dangerous would it be if he happened to eat a couple while i had my back turned?

I just heard or read that in the last week. Maybe Zymurgy. I did a brief look up since I have pets, and some breeds are affected and others not. Not a lot of study has been done. Dogs have died eating the spent hops dumped after homebrewing. Seems it causes them to overheat. fortunately I've been dumping my trub in a trash bag and throwing it away in the trash. I need to read up more myself.

1. I believe they ate hops that were already used and covered in sweet wort. My dog has never shown any interest in the hops that were growing in the yard.

2. The cases of dogs eating hops and dieing have been breed specific (grayhounds). If that is the breed you own, I would understand being extra cautious.

I'm presuming that there is no difference between fresh hops and spent ones (post brewing)
I heard this several years ago how dangerous they are to dogs (and I didn't read anything about some breeds being affected and others are)
Can you keep the dog away from the garden? Maybe on a run or leash or some such? Or just put a fence around the garden. I would think Rover would go after the peppers and tomatoes as much as the hops - at least, that's what I remember from having a garden and dog growing up - there were no hops, but we needed a fence around the garden to keep the dog, and other critters - out of there.

Good news is that the cones don't grow at ground level if you keep control of your hops and don't let them go until the cones start falling off the bine you should be safe. You could always clip off the lower side arms as well.

Good news is that the cones don't grow at ground level if you keep control of your hops and don't let them go until the cones start falling off the bine you should be safe. You could always clip off the lower side arms as well.

That's what I was going to say. You've got a short dog there. I have a lab and while he never showed any interest in the hops at all, he'd never be able to reach the flowers/cones anyway. Heck, I have to stand on a chair or ladder to reach them!

Yeah, i'll definitely have to trim the first couple feet to keep him from getting to the cones, but my concern was based on if some cones fell to the ground and he got them. My yard is small, but I may be able to move the crown and then fence off part of the yard. I'll have to think about the layout of the yard and see if i wanna dedicate that much room to the garden. I would like to leave him room to run and play fetch, but i guess I won't really need to fence off much. Thanks guys, and gal.

I thought most of the issue stems from dogs eating trub/spent hops post boil, when they're deliciously covered in sweet wort. Never seen any dogs take an interest in my hops. Also fenced my hop beds off.

That's what I was going to say. You've got a short dog there. I have a lab and while he never showed any interest in the hops at all, he'd never be able to reach the flowers/cones anyway. Heck, I have to stand on a chair or ladder to reach them!

the two breeds that came up were goldens and greyhounds. I've always had goldens and have had one that liked grapefruit but not tomatoes and another that liked tomatoes and not grapefruit, and another that didn't like either. Just like kids--you never know.

Yeah, i'll definitely have to trim the first couple feet to keep him from getting to the cones, but my concern was based on if some cones fell to the ground and he got them. My yard is small, but I may be able to move the crown and then fence off part of the yard. I'll have to think about the layout of the yard and see if i wanna dedicate that much room to the garden. I would like to leave him room to run and play fetch, but i guess I won't really need to fence off much. Thanks guys, and gal.

Unless I was lazy and let my cones sit on the bines way past there prime I don't think I ever saw one fall off. Heck most of the time when harvesting it takes a little tug to get them off.

The cones are at the very top of the plant, not near the bottom, and they never fall off.

I have a sled dog kennel of 34 dogs and have hops growing in the fenced in area where I let them roam. NEVER had a problem in the past 6 years of growing it. I don't think they actually give a crap about eating raw hops. Although its toxic, I believe they eat it after its been boiled or covered in old Wort ( sweet smell and taste ).
I wouldnt worry too much. They DO like to piss on it though.

The cones are at the very top of the plant, not near the bottom, and they never fall off.

I didn't even think that it takes a decent tug to get them off the plant. I am gonna move the crown to the opposite corner of the yard and fence it off. As it is now, they are growing against the sun anyway. I'll need to keep him out of the yard on harvesting days. Thanks guys.

Back