Dogfish Head sells 15% to private equity firm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBags

Reaction score
From Beer Business Daily:

Dear Client:

Yesterday Dogfish chief Sam Calagione shared the following news with employees. They'll give New York-based LNK "a modest 15% ownership position." One more for the private equity succession plan camp.

"Today, I am excited to announce that Mariah and I added a new asset as external support to Dogfish Head - LNK Partners," he wrote. "You are likely thinking, who or what is that? Well, they are an incredibly smart and experienced group of people who have worked with companies of all sizes and styles like Levi's, Performance Bicycle, Gatorade and Calvin Klein [and Panera] to help those guys achieve their goals in their respective industries. LNK is making an investment to own 15% percent of our company." As we reported via large news outlets earlier this year, Dogfish has "accepted a number of meetings over many years in order to better understand the plays that other craft breweries could or would be making.

"But while these conversations happened, our talks have always been prefaced by our steadfast desire to remain a family-controlled and family-led company. We remained firm in that position no matter who was sitting at the other side of the table pitching us their deal and we still do today. We went into our introductory meeting with LNK as if it would be our only, but rather found that the result was a robust and thoughtful dialogue about Dogfish's solid and unique position in the craft beer industry. We walked out of the meeting thinking perhaps we should rethink those original assumptions. ..."

"THREE DEAL BREAKERS": "During the process of getting to know each other, the value in partnering with LNK became clearer, for while we have been approaching our world through the lens of craft, they could bring different exposures and experiences to help adjust that focus," Sam wrote. "In so doing they could provide the food for thought we had yet to sample. As the possibility of a partnership continued to crystallize for us, all that remained was their agreement around our three deal-breakers. 1.) acceptance that this would not be a path toward IPO, majority ownership or any other position that would be counter to our commitment to remain a family-controlled and family-led company, 2.) alignment in holding holy to our off-centered culture as an ideal to be treasured, and 3.) acceptance that we will always choose smart growth over fast growth. End of story. Not only did LNK get on board with our priorities, but they respected them; they were energized around them."

Bottom line, this means that at the "Dogfish Board of Directors level there will be one representative joining who will bring some diversity of thought and experience to that group. Additionally, they will be acting as thought partners for Mariah, Nick and I to challenge us, provide sounding board and offer other best practice advice. We contemplated whether filling our voids could be just as easily achieved through the work of a rock solid consultant but in the end Mariah and I agreed that allowing LNK to take a modest 15% ownership position would provide the skin in the game that would align us to winning."

David Landau, Managing Partner at LNK, said Dogfish is a "rare combination of a great management team and a great brand."

2e0Jytj.jpg

Who gives a flying ****?

The fact is that the larger craft breweries are finding there's a ceiling to their success and outside investment is the only way to break through.

This seems like a smart way to get capital without selling off the farm. It seems like the big brewers all want either a very large stake or an outright buyout. Sam seems to want to keep the business family-owned.

Would've laughed more if this involved inbev tho.

Last edited:
What game is he talking about? Because if he's talking about the one I think he is then I just lost the game.

#ThanksCalagione

Since we're talking about Dogfish head (which barely ever happens), what does everybody think about their place in beer "culture"?

I think of them as a "gateway" brewery nowadays, whereas 6-7 years ago, in Texas, they were one of the best things we could get on shelves. I can't see how anyone buys their beer nowadays except for newbs just because the quality has risen so much with other breweries (local and regional). DFH hasn't really done anything except the same old thing in their shelf lineup.

Are they out of ideas?

.... .... I did have a lobster stout brewed by them at GABF.

This is probably why they need investment.

I always pick up Punkin Ale and Indian Brown Ale in the fall. 90 Minute is another I love to have from time to time, it's always overlooked (and 60 and 75 too, never sorry drinking one of those). So I don't know where this places them in the greater beer picture for me, but I know I'm happy to keep drinking those beers.

I always pick up Punkin Ale and Indian Brown Ale in the fall. 90 Minute is another I love to have from time to time, it's always overlooked (and 60 and 75 too, never sorry drinking one of those). So I don't know where this places them in the greater beer picture for me, but I know I'm happy to keep drinking those beers.

ChicoryStout4Lyfe

They should have just pulled a Stone and started a Kickstarter. ****in' n00bs.

Dogfish Head west coast brewery. I can see the thought process now:

"The reason west coasters aren't clamoring to buy our beers over local offerings is because they can't get 90 Minute IPA fresh enough to enjoy it!"

Donate $100 to the Kickstarter and get a bottle of west coast-brewed 120 Minute IPA as a reward.

I can't say I've enjoyed everything I've tried of DFH's (but so what, you know? Taste is a finicky thing), but if you were to put together a Mount Rushmore of craft you probably have to put them there with Sierra and Sam Adams.

I've thought for a while that we are hitting the "maturity" part of this (or similar) charts:

Local-Industry-Lifecycle-2013.jpg

I mean, first we had GI selling to AB. No big deal. But in quick succession we have had Alpine, Golfen Road, 10 Barrel, FW, Lagunitas, DFH, Cisco -- I'm guessing some of these guys hired business consultants and recognized that growth is going to stall without some strategy shifts.

There's a LOT of beer on shelves now... And so much of it is old. :(

Arbidamus predictions:
- Stone will not sell
- RR will not sell
- Great Divide will sell a stake by end of 2016
- We will see less YOY growth in 2015 vs 2014 in $ value of craft by at least 1 percentage point
- JWB will sell his brewery before selling his first beer

Last edited:
- Stone will not sell
No way Jose. Greg Koch just stepped down as CEO was a total red flag for me on this front as they are reorganizing into an even larger company.

I don't see them selling stake to a big beer company like Lagunitas did, but with all the **** they have supposedly going on (East Coast, Germany, etc...), I could see private equity and other inventors coming in real soon.

All the other stuff is absolutely spot-on tho.

I had some JWB beer at GABF and I'm starting to think I'm luckier than 90% of backers, lol.

The next brewery to sell out completely to big beer....

Wait for it...

Wait for it.......

Modern Times.

My personal hope that The Alchemist sells to InBev just because **** (most) Vermont traders.

Last edited:
They should have just pulled a Stone and started a Kickstarter. ****in' n00bs.
I know you are being factitious, but why would any established brewery crowd-source funds? You will just end up with prissy beer-drinking "investors." Much better to just get an investor who won't complain about you on twitter and TalkBeer.com

DFH makes some good and some really good beer. Maybe they're not good enough if we pretend like we militant beer nerds make up more than 10% of the craft beer market.

I had to look up JWB. I discovered a 1 year old brewery with approximately 7,435 different beer produced. Wassupwitdat?

Why does everyone feel like they need to continue to grow and become these enormous, almost macro, breweries?? American way I suppose.

Get to a size you can manage and are comfortable with, produce amazing beer, people will buy it all, and you will live a happy successful life. Then the price of your beer can come down a bit too because you are trying to pay for any new infrastructure. Win-win.

I love Burton Baton but rarely buy it

DFH makes some good and some really good beer. Maybe they're not good enough if we pretend like we militant beer nerds make up more than 10% of the craft beer market.

i don't knock them. i'd pound a bottle of positive contact like water. burton baton and palo santo are good as well.
i hate i didn't get the chance to try their 40oz malt liquor tho....

Why does everyone feel like they need to continue to grow and become these enormous, almost macro, breweries?? American way I suppose.

BENTLEYS, DOM PERIGNON AND BITCHES. GOTTA HAVE IT.

I think of them as a "gateway" brewery nowadays, whereas 6-7 years ago, in Texas, they were one of the best things we could get on shelves. I can't see how anyone buys their beer nowadays except for newbs just because the quality has risen so much with other breweries (local and regional). DFH hasn't really done anything except the same old thing in their shelf lineup.

I would argue that Dogfish Head still makes some of the best IPAs on the market, quality on Dogfish head beers has never disappointed me.

I also don't think I am a "newb".....

No way Jose. Greg Koch just stepped down as CEO was a total red flag for me on this front as they are reorganizing into an even larger company.

I am very interested to see what happens with there brewery that they are opening in Germany

ce761922482ee0b592b9691285367c3809eec301a0b0708270a77b0a83f2f2fc.jpg

I dont think its a bad thing at all. Sell part of the company to get increased capital, bigger distribution, and an ivy league business grad to tell you how to run your business better so you can continue to make strange beers. Win win

Get to a size you can manage and are comfortable with, produce amazing beer, people will buy it all, and you will live a happy successful life. Then the price of your beer can come down a bit too because you are trying to pay for any new infrastructure. Win-win.

I love Burton Baton but rarely buy it
If you do this and max capacity, you get the opposite issue of people bitching and moaning constantly about why don't you expand, why can't you meet demand, you must like having people not being able to find your beer? On and on and on and on. Aka the Russian River problem. In other words, no matter what you do, a subset of people will be annoying dicks about that decision.

Back