Dogfish head 90 minute ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phenry said:
Well durn, I would've thought that since it's DFH they'd have at least figured out something to deviate from the rather exponential curve headed straight to failure that is their IPA series.

You mean the IPA series that includes their best selling beer and the big reason they have been the fastest growing brewery in the US for the past few years? Ok gotcha.

I get this fully. As a great lover of west coast super hoppy IPA's I also had a hard time adjusting to the east coast style IPA which I personally find very pleasing now. There is no question there is a difference. I find the east coast IPA's to be much more on the maltier sweet side which certainly counters the bitters in the beer. Another east coast IPA I put in this same sort of odd less bitter maltier IPA is Stoudts IIPA. Its funnny I love lets say the crazy hoppiness of a Pliny the Edler but have really enjoyed the balance of the Maltier version of an IPA. Hey thats why there is vanilla and chocolate. I just happen to like them both when in the mood for one or the other.

Every time I see 90 min in the store I check the date and it's always over a month old. If I can find it fresher than that I'll give it another shot, but I really think this one suffers from age and handling here on the west coast.

I think like any IPA, the fresher you get it the more hop aroma and flavor it will have. Having had the 90 minute fresh at the brewery and brew pub I can tell you it has plenty of hop flavor and aroma. I've also had it infused with their Randal system, which gives it a nice grassy hop flavor.

So I vote that it is an IPA

I prefer Stone's ruination to dfh 90 or 60. I don't care for malt forward ipa's. just my taste.

Back