American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for only the second beer I have ever made, everyone that tasted it said it was one of the best IPA's they tasted. Still have a few bottles left, but making my second batch this weekend. Hopefully it will be as good or better!!

Thanks Yooper!

2014-01-17 18.06.38.jpg

Here's mine! Just brewed it again this morning. Scaled it up to six gallons, and hit all my numbers perfect. Can't wait to try This batch

20140126_205128.jpg

I just finished my brew about an hour ago... My first 5 gallon batch I guess beersmith knows better than me on preboil volume... I stopped about half gallon shy of what it requested and finished about 1/2 to 1 gallon shy of full... High numbers and my new counterflow wort chiller worked great, cool to the touch wort to te point of pitchin my shoty yeast starter almost immediately .

Had a great time on my first 5 gallon batch! Ready for my second one... A little intoxicated at this moment as I finished off my last Of this from a 1 gallon batch...

Is transferring it into secondary necessary? Or can I just dry hop at day 15 and bottle at day 20?

I was just making sure, should I get a bag to dry hop in it just throw it in the car boy? Or I that just a matter of opinion?

If you're planning on bottling as soon as you're done dry-hopping, then you can just throw them in directly. But if you plan on aging it for a while longer, or cold-crashing and adding gelatin, or whatever else, and you're worried about leaving the hops in contact with the beer for too long, then you can put them in a (boiled to sanitize) bag/hop sock and remove them after the 5-7 days.

Ok I'm bottling them as soon as the time dry hop is up, then I'll start my second 5 gallon batch

Did this recipe and wow great taste, just too bad I did not bottle correctly so low carbonation. Ugh, but will be doing this one again!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made this on 1/28 and the numbers were in the wine section of my hydrometer. Not sure what happened, I followed the extract recipe exactly. Put it in the bucket anyway and it's still bubbling today. We'll see what happens.

Hi, I would like to brew this recipe but looking at the hopping schedule is it really hoppy? The dry-hopping doesn't seem that heavy?

Honestly - 60 minute isn't that hoppy IMO but is a good IPA. I plan to brew it soon per the recipe and I hope it turns out as good as people say. My technique will have a lot to do with it.

This recipe turned out really nice. Will make again. Simple but really good hop and malt flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

well they are not getting my business. they want to charge me 55 bucks to ship me 35 bucks worth of grains and hops. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow Brewmasters does not sell Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt

without reading thru all the pages, where can I get the Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt, per the recipe?

I think RiteBrew started carrying it now too, and he's always been great to deal with. Looks like it's under the "Roasted" grains section. Not sure about shipping costs though because I'm able to do the local pickup.

If I wanted to make this recipe and only had access to Magnum to use as my bittering hop rather than warrior, would I just calculate the percentage difference in AA and use additional magnum in the boil? ie. Warrior is 15% and Magnum is 12.5% so Warrior has 1.2 x more AA than Magnum. If I multiplied the Warrior in the recipe (1.25 oz) by 1.2 I get 1.5 so if I use 1.5 oz Magnum will I get a similar bittering effect?

If I wanted to make this recipe and only had access to Magnum to use as my bittering hop rather than warrior, would I just calculate the percentage difference in AA and use additional magnum in the boil? ie. Warrior is 15% and Magnum is 12.5% so Warrior has 1.2 x more AA than Magnum. If I multiplied the Warrior in the recipe (1.25 oz) by 1.2 I get 1.5 so if I use 1.5 oz Magnum will I get a similar bittering effect?

Yes! I'm using magnum myself today, instead of warrior, and I will be using 1.5 ounces for bittering (but I"m making a 10 gallon batch). Instead of multiplying that way, just get the same IBUs and you'll be all set.

This house become a house IPA for us, and I've changed it up a bit over the years to make my brewday go smoother and to tweak the beer to my tastes.

I no longer do continuous hopping- just add the hops at the traditional 60/15/5/0/dryhopping. I also brought down the OG for my house beer- so that it's under 6%. But I love the combo of amarillo/simcoe so much that I didn't change that at all.

I'm brewing it today, and it smells so great in here!

Do you notice a difference when you don't continually hop?

I'm a huge fan of the flavor/aroma of this brew the last time I made it and I thought it was because of the continuous hopping but adding at fixed intervals is certainly easier.

Do you notice a difference when you don't continually hop?

I'm a huge fan of the flavor/aroma of this brew the last time I made it and I thought it was because of the continuous hopping but adding at fixed intervals is certainly easier.

I have not noticed that great of a difference when I don't continuously hop. The first dozen or so times I made this particular beer I did continuously hop. Of course, I was trying to emulate dogfish head 60 minute IPA and that is noted to be continuously hopped.

Now I'm trying to get a good consistent house IPA with lower alcohol and still all of that great Amarillo/Simcoe flavor.

I can't say that there is much of a difference in flavor between the traditional hopping and the continuous hopping, at least to me.

Yes! I'm using magnum myself today, instead of warrior, and I will be using 1.5 ounces for bittering (but I"m making a 10 gallon batch). Instead of multiplying that way, just get the same IBUs and you'll be all set.

This house become a house IPA for us, and I've changed it up a bit over the years to make my brewday go smoother and to tweak the beer to my tastes.

I no longer do continuous hopping- just add the hops at the traditional 60/15/5/0/dryhopping. I also brought down the OG for my house beer- so that it's under 6%. But I love the combo of amarillo/simcoe so much that I didn't change that at all.

Well that is a bit of a coincidence :). My LHBS is apparently out of Simcoe for the year but it is apparently such a unique hop that I had to go an order some off the net.

Sorry but I am still pretty new to this. Is there any chance you could provide a sample hop schedule for a 5 gal batch with Magnum? I am generally using Brewmate and I don't know how to account for continuous hopping in terms of the IBU's I get out of my hops. I would very much appreciate it :mug:.

Well that is a bit of a coincidence :). My LHBS is apparently out of Simcoe for the year but it is apparently such a unique hop that I had to go an order some off the net.

Sorry but I am still pretty new to this. Is there any chance you could provide a sample hop schedule for a 5 gal batch with Magnum? I am generally using Brewmate and I don't know how to account for continuous hopping in terms of the IBU's I get out of my hops. I would very much appreciate it :mug:.

You could do exactly the same hops schedule as posted, just substitute the magnum. The only change would be due to the AAUs of the magnum- the warrior is 16.4% in the recipe. If your magnum is a lot different (it will have it on the package), we just can calculate the amount of magnum to use.

Hi Yooper,
Ok I think I get it now thanks :). Would you recommend the hop amounts you used for the AG batch or the extract batch if I am doing a partial mash BIAB hybrid of the two recipes? I noticed you used 1/2 oz more of each hop in the recipe. What was the reason for that?
Thanks

Hi Yooper,
Ok I think I get it now thanks :). Would you recommend the hop amounts you used for the AG batch or the extract batch if I am doing a partial mash BIAB hybrid of the two recipes? I noticed you used 1/2 oz more of each hop in the recipe. What was the reason for that?
Thanks

Boil size is what determines the amount of hops. Use more (the greater amount) if you are boiling less than a full volume of wort.

Ahhhhhh ok that makes total sense. Thanks for that. Sorry for all the questions. Time to start making this recipe!!

In the process of brewing this now and it smells amazing! I am not sure if anyone has suggested this but for the continuous hop additions I found it made it very easy to lay pellets along the length of a 30 cm ruler with 1 cm equivalent to 1 minute. Takes the guesswork out and makes it a lot easier!

Just kegged this. Aside from a little problem with over-carbonation (my regulator was reading 22psi when it was really 50psi, d'oh), this beer tastes great. It will likely be gone before I can get my next brew in the pipeline. MUST BREW MORE OFTEN . . . .

Jost bottled this evening. Tastes amazing out of the fermenter. I am very impressed with the aroma and flavour I was able to achieve with only 1.5 oz dry hop addition. Thanks for the recipe Yooper. Looking forward for this to prime, and with 7% ABV!

10 gallons split in to 2 5 gallon secondaries - dry hopped one with the appropriate 20g simcoe/30g amarillo - the other with 30g mosaic and 20g galaxy. We'll see how they turn out!

Yooper, how much Amarillo & Simcoe are you adding at 15/5/0 now? Do you still dry hop with 1oz Amarillo and 1/2 ounce Simcoe?

I bottled my batch today. It tasted good however it lacked the umff of an IPA and hoppy aroma. Will this come out as it ages?

Latest posts

Back