American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled my first pint of this last night after carbing for about a week and I have to say, it is as good as advertised!

I plan to pick up a sixer of DFH 60 min this weekend and I will do a side by side comparison and post the results here.

Thanks again Yooper for the great recipe! :mug:

OK, so here is my side by side comparison of Yooper's recipe and an actual DFH 60 min. The one of the left is my beer and the right is the DFH. Color is DEAD on (mine is only one week in the keg so it will continue to clear). I had my friend try both in a blind taste test (he is a big craft beer guy and loves 60 min) and he said, and I quote "Gun to my head, I couldn't tell them apart"!!!

Thanks again Yooper for this awesome recipe!!!

DSC02568.jpg

Well here is our finished product. Tastes great, would like to work on clarity but overall real happy. Did the extract recipe. Since have gone partial mash and finishing a 60qt igloo mash tun to go all the way. Thanks again for the recipe!! DF60 is one of my fav beers.

ForumRunner_20120127_181217.jpg

ingredients are going to be here tomorrow and I am going to try to brew this sunday or monday. I am very excited because of the positive reviews here!! I am even saving 2 DFH60 to compare it with...

Made this yesterday, except used the hops/schedule called out at brew 365 instead. It was a warm winter day in the Lou so I didn't mind sitting outside throwing a few hops in every couple of minutes. Hit the mash dead on at 152. But missed the OG by just a few points, came in at 1.062. No sweat. Pacman starter started in just a few hours. Fermenting at 62 degrees.

Fun!

Doing mine tonight. Can't decide if I want to use nottingham or sa-05. I do have some danstar Windsor ale from an old recipe as well....

Brewed my first batch of this yesterday. Dixie cups never looked so yummy before. I put the irish moss right in one of the cups so I won't forget it. my "continuous hopping" method was every 5 minutes. Hopefully it's a close enough approximation to actually sitting there throwing hops in every few seconds. :mug:

My OG was 1.074, final 1.014! 7.9% ABV? 2 of these and I'll be wasted, almost an imperial IPA? I racked to secondary and I'm going to dry hop on Wednesday for 7 days. Thanks yooper.

My OG was 1.074, final 1.014! 7.9% ABV? 2 of these and I'll be wasted, almost an imperial IPA? I racked to secondary and I'm going to dry hop on Wednesday for 7 days. Thanks yooper.

Goodness, that's quite an efficiency unless you did the extract version. Rock on West Allis. :rockin: I grew up in Tosa.

Just finished brewing this as a 2.5 gallon batch. O.G of 1.076 and put in some Safale 05 from a prior batch. Got a lot more trub that I was anticipating so not sure if I am going to have the full 2.5 gallons in the end, but only my second all grain, so i am happy :)

Will I get good results with dry hopping in a muslin bag? First time trying this as I hate racking around hops lol

2012-01-31%2017.43.15.jpg

Followup report. FG came in at 1.013. Decided not to secondary (first time). Dry hop in primary for 1 week (first time to dry hop as well). Bottled on 1/21/12. It was still cloudy, but expected that due to no secondary and the dry hopping. Cleared up in the bottle, but I still get chill haze (new IC should help, received a week too late for this brew).
First bottle after 10 days - strong hop aroma, strong grapefruit hop flavor, good head, great lacing. A little brighter in taste than I remember from the one real DFH I had 6 weeks ago. Overall very pleased.
Will brew again in Feb. I have all the correct hops now.
Thanks Yooper!

idigg said:
Will I get good results with dry hopping in a muslin bag? First time trying this as I hate racking around hops lol

I usually do. When I rack out of secondary I put the autosyphon in the muslin bag and push it to the bottom while racking. I think it may draw a little more hop aroma in the beer plus it helps filter the trub towards the end.

I am done being a cheapskate!! I successfully made 3 starters from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for this beer. Fermentation was slow from the get go. Temperature during 1st week was consistent at 63, but has since dipped down to 61. It has been bubbling slowly for 5 weeks and I checked the gravity last night and it is sitting at 1.024. Tastes delicious. I swirl pretty vigorously and put a heating pad on it to hopefully get it into the 70s. I am going to keep an eye on the gravity, but when should I give up and dry hop this slow-poke?

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.50 gal
Actual OG: 1.072 SG

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

9.5 lbs Munich Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
1 lbs Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %

.75 Zeus hops (60 minutes)
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
Irish Moss ( 1 tsp with 15 minutes left in the boil)

So I bought this as a kit from my LHBS awhile back (extract) and the recipe looked like this:

7lb DME
1 bag of specialty grains including:
- aromatic malt
- crystal malt 60L
- honey malt
1oz (total) warrior
1oz (total) Amarillo
1oz (total) citra

The hops were all spread out with some dry hopped. I recall also throwing in 1oz cascade hops in the keg to dry hop while I drank it.

This was probably the best beer I have ever drank. My problem is they don't list the proportions of the specialty grains. Can anyone take a shot at these? I was thinking perhaps 8oz crystal, 4oz honey, 4oz aromatic malt but what could the aromatic malt be?

How do my proportions sound?

So I bought this as a kit from my LHBS awhile back (extract) and the recipe looked like this:

7lb DME
1 bag of specialty grains including:
- aromatic malt
- crystal malt 60L
- honey malt
1oz (total) warrior
1oz (total) Amarillo
1oz (total) citra

The hops were all spread out with some dry hopped. I recall also throwing in 1oz cascade hops in the keg to dry hop while I drank it.

This was probably the best beer I have ever drank. My problem is they don't list the proportions of the specialty grains. Can anyone take a shot at these? I was thinking perhaps 8oz crystal, 4oz honey, 4oz aromatic malt but what could the aromatic malt be?

How do my proportions sound?

It could be in those proportions, but it could be something else. I think that would be a good place to start.

Yooper said:
It could be in those proportions, but it could be something else. I think that would be a good place to start.

What do you think would be considered an aromatic malt? Sorry, just starting to make my own recipes so not familiar enough with a different grains yet.

I'm gonna brew this this weekend
My lhbs did not have warrior so I am using Columbus instead as a substitute. They had plenty of simcoe and Amarillo though
I am fighting the urge to brew an all simcoe ale

I am brewing this right now but instead of simcoe I used summit hops...ill let ya know how it turns out! Hopefully i get the grapefruit taste and aroma and not the bad onions

I am looking forward to brewing this, I know the recommendation here is for a clean American style yeast. With that being said I know dfh uses ringwood style yeast in this recipe and in Scotland's 90 and 120 min clone he uses whitbread style yeast or s-04. I am going to be kegging northern brewers Innkeeper that I used s-04 in, is there any reason I could,t just rack this recipe onto the yeast cake? I would imagine there shoul be enough yeast in the cake to have n optimal pitching rate. Sorry for the typos, autocorrect is a pain sometimes.

I am looking forward to brewing this, I know the recommendation here is for a clean American style yeast. With that being said I know dfh uses ringwood style yeast in this recipe and in Scotland's 90 and 120 min clone he uses whitbread style yeast or s-04. I am going to be kegging northern brewers Innkeeper that I used s-04 in, is there any reason I could,t just rack this recipe onto the yeast cake? I would imagine there shoul be enough yeast in the cake to have n optimal pitching rate. Sorry for the typos, autocorrect is a pain sometimes.

I can't remember if I've used S04 in this- I think so. As long as you keep it cool (under about 64 degrees), it should be ok.

I cant comment from personal experience, but I have read on here that overpitching can be bad as well. You should wash the yeast cake and then use the correct amount according to the pitching calculator.

I cant comment from personal experience, but I have read on here that overpitching can be bad as well. You should wash the yeast cake and then use the correct amount according to the pitching calculator.

Overpitching is bad, however not as bad as underpitching

I read the thread about why not o pitch on your cake, or read enough page to get th point. I guess I won't be doing that even though the innkeeper is a lower gravity ale and this clone is a little heavier.

I want to try washing yeast but I am worried abou contamination so I guess I will just go puck up a couple package of nottingham or s05

Brewed this recipe up last Sunday...was my first time brewing an all grain recipe. My OG was off by a bit (1.062)...but it I had a blast doing it! It was the first time I used a yeast starter as well and it took off like crazy! I used a blow off for the first time just for preventative measures. I took a peek last night to see how it was doing...man alive...the smell was amazing! One thing about homebrewing is allowing me to practice is patience!

I have a question though regarding fermentation temp. Its sitting at about 63 right now...and after checking last night there is still a very think layer of krausen on top. I've been reading about slowly raising the temp during fermentation...when would be a good time to start doing so and what would be the next ideal temp to let it sit at?

Thanks so much and thanks Yooper for the recipe! I'm glad I picked this for my first all grain...and can't wait to try it out!

According to the recipe the temperature needs to stay at 63. So no need to raise from where you are right now.

Brewed this recipe up last Sunday...was my first time brewing an all grain recipe. My OG was off by a bit (1.062)...but it I had a blast doing it! It was the first time I used a yeast starter as well and it took off like crazy! I used a blow off for the first time just for preventative measures. I took a peek last night to see how it was doing...man alive...the smell was amazing! One thing about homebrewing is allowing me to practice is patience!

I have a question though regarding fermentation temp. Its sitting at about 63 right now...and after checking last night there is still a very think layer of krausen on top. I've been reading about slowly raising the temp during fermentation...when would be a good time to start doing so and what would be the next ideal temp to let it sit at?

Thanks so much and thanks Yooper for the recipe! I'm glad I picked this for my first all grain...and can't wait to try it out!

Congrats on your first all grain! This one was my third and it sure is fun! You will still havean almost 7% beer so you are perfect. I think the original dfh60 is only a little above 6% amyway.

I left mine fermenting at 62 and it is going on 2 weeks this Monday. Cant wait to dry hop it and build the aroma! This is an exciting brew for me, very different than the kits that I have done and a lot of fun!

Well I kegged my batch with the summit hops last night and couldnt help but out one through the lines... the verdict is if you are unable to get simcoe summit makes it come out pretty close but use slightly less amounts since it is a higher % typically. It was soooo yummy just a little bit more grapefruit type flavors than a real dfh 60

I brewed a partial mash adaption (just substituted some 2 row for a bit of extract to keep the cost lower) of this about two and a half weeks ago. Started at 1.072 and I'm down to 1.015 with pacman yeast. The hydro sample tasted awesome! Put it in the keezer to cold crash a few days, then will dry hop in keg and carb. Excited to taste the final of this. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

I brewed a partial mash adaption (just substituted some 2 row for a bit of extract to keep the cost lower) of this about two and a half weeks ago. Started at 1.072 and I'm down to 1.015 with pacman yeast. The hydro sample tasted awesome! Put it in the keezer to cold crash a few days, then will dry hop in keg and carb. Excited to taste the final of this. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Any idea if it is better to cold crash, then dry hop or dry hop then cold crash. Or does it not matter?

Latest posts

Back