American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, I'll answer even if I'm not a guy! After all, it's my recipe. :D

:eek: Just an expression, no gender profiling! Thanks for your response, I have been wanting to brew this beer for a while and this thread has a lot of good info! I enjoy reading that people have tweeked the recipe and then commented on their results. In my estimation, I have decided to brew very close to your original recipe, thanks again LADY! :mug:

Eastside

I made this recipe with Wyeast 1187, adding hops once a minute during the boil. Man, the hop character in this beer just blows me away! The commercial version is very good but I have to say my beer is outstanding. Well done!

I had my first real DogFish 60 Minute IPA last week on vacation. It tasted very close to this recipe, except I think this homebrew recipe is a bit tastier, certainly fresher tasting when dry-hoped at home.

Brewing this up again this weekend. I will add in some Palisades to the aroma hops and some Glacier to the dry hops. I'm also going to be doing a split 10 G batch. One 5 G bucket will get Pacman and the other will get a "Ringwood" strain, WLP005 (BMW were out of Wyeast 1187). Got 1.2 L starters of the yeasties growing now!

Yoop:

Just wanted to let you know fantastic recipe. I had a couple minor changes here and there, like Magnum instead of warrior, and about 2 lbs amber DME in place of some 2 row as I mash in 5 gallon cooler. Anyway It tastes great, and took 5th place in EdWorts brew bash for me. I noticed another entry took 3rd with your recipe, so that is some validation for sure. Also a couple weeks ago I took some to a local gathering in Seattle and it was well received by the 3 other HBT memebrs there including by Brewtopia who posted a pic of his glass of it on his twitter.

You've got a real winner recipe there young lady.

would this be good using notty and also could i just sub cascade for the .50 addition of amarillo bc i only have an once of amarillo on hand and i have plenty of cascade

To the extract brewers..

How's your finished product looking..color and body etc to original version?

Extract #1
8 pounds 8 ounces DME
1 pound crystal 40L

Extract #2
9 lbs 14.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

Extract #3
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract
0.40 lb British Amber Malt

Are you happy w/ your batch.... too light too dark?

Post up your results please..

Bighops

I just had my last bottle of this last night. I misread the hopping schedule and couldn't get a good cold break. My temp control was inconsistent. A couple of other things were slightly off, but the end result was delicious. It didn't taste as much like 60 min to me, but I think that is my own fault in executing the recipe and not having perfected my process yet.

I bottled conditioned and the 5+ week bottles were definitely an improvement over the 3 week bottles. I shared a bomber with several people who work at one of the local microbreweries and they all liked it. I will be making this again soon.

Yooper - 2 questions. Is there any difference or advantage in using whole leaf hops for this recipe? I saw in an earlier post that you sometimes dry hop by throwing the hops into your primary bucket at the end of fermentation instead of racking to secondary. Do you recommend this, and if so, leaf or pellet? Thanks again for the great recipe.

Yooper - 2 questions. Is there any difference or advantage in using whole leaf hops for this recipe? I saw in an earlier post that you sometimes dry hop by throwing the hops into your primary bucket at the end of fermentation instead of racking to secondary. Do you recommend this, and if so, leaf or pellet? Thanks again for the great recipe.

I like whole leaf hops, and would use them. Once the hops crisis hit, I was glad to get any of my favorite hops in any form, so I learned to love all forms! If you want to use whole hops, that's fine- but you may want to increase them by about 10%. Pelletized hops are a bit "stronger" in my opinion.

I don't often use a secondary any more, so I do throw the hops right in the primary after about 2 weeks. I like to dry hop about a week before kegging. I've done it with both whole leaf and pellets. Some people recommend bags, and I've done it with bags or loose, and had good results with both. In a bucket, it's a bit easier to use bags (so you don't have to try to get them in a carboy and of course back out). If you do use bags, make sure to put the hops in there very loosely, so that the hops make contact with the beer. If you have more hops that won't quite fit, you can use another bag, or a stainless steel tea strainer ball. Make sure you sanitized the bags or the strainer, of course.

Thanks Yooper! This turned out to be one of my best beers and will probably turn into the house brew. Not overly bitter and lots of good hop flavors and aromas. I think the simple grain bill really does a lot for the beer.

I'm glad you guys like it as much as I do. I just dryhopped my last batch and I'll be kegging it this week. I'm going to take some to the Michigan Brewday next weekend.

The grain bill in the original post is 13.34 pounds. I only have a 5 gallon igloo cooler (MLT). With the amount of water stated for the mash-in, am I running into problems with overflow if I do not use the 7.5 gallon cooler (MLT)?

Also, I could not obtain Warrior hops, so I am going to use Nugget and I will have to increase the amount due to slightly lower A.A. Does anyone see a dramatic difference in final flavor profile using this hop substitution.

I am planning to brew this evening, so any input will be appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

The grain bill in the original post is 13.34 pounds. I only have a 5 gallon igloo cooler (MLT). With the amount of water stated for the mash-in, am I running into problems with overflow if I do not use the 7.5 gallon cooler (MLT)?

Also, I could not obtain Warrior hops, so I am going to use Nugget and I will have to increase the amount due to slightly lower A.A. Does anyone see a dramatic difference in final flavor profile using this hop substitution.

I am planning to brew this evening, so any input will be appreciated.

Yeah, I don't think it'll fit in a 5 gallon MLT. I use a 10 gallon, and can NOT mash a 10 gallon batch in it.

Nugget should be fine- you won't notice it since it's bittering hops and I think a pretty "neutral" hop anyway.

Well I went ahead and brewed last evening with the following ingredients:

12lb - Muntons Maris Otter 2 Row Malt (3.0)
2 lb - American Briess 2 Row Malt (1.5)
.40 lb - Crystal 40L

75 minute mash using 3.88 gal of 150 degree water (BeerSmith recommended this amount and temperature), but I used 156 degree water.

1 oz Nugget (13.7% A.A.) for 60 minutes
1 oz Amarillo (7.5% A.A.) for 30 minutes
.50 oz Simcoe (12.0% A.A.) for 15 minutes
.50 oz Cascade (4.0% A.A.) for 15 minutes

My preboil of 6.25 gallons of wort was 1.062 and my final was 1.072 for a 5.25 gallon batch into the primary. I intend to dry hop using Simcoe (.50 oz) and Amarillo (1 oz) and possibly some cascade (.50 oz) for 3 days.

I had to use my 5 gallon igloo cooler/MLT so I scaled back the grain bill from 13 lbs to 12 lbs and I am hoping this doesn't detract from all the great reviews I have read on this thread.

I used the Muntons on a recomendation from my LHBS person and I am hoping I didn't make a mistake.

So any comments on my ingredients and method?

Salute!

D'oh! I'm doing the extract version and made the first big mistake in a while. I finished steeping and was bringing the wort to a boil as I stirred in my extract. I buy it in bulk and have a big container of it. I noticed it was getting low but didn't think anything about it...WRONG! I only scrapped 5.5 lbs out and I needed about 8. Thankfully my LHBS is just a couple miles away and open til 6 on Sunday. So other than adding 1/2 to my brew day I'm back on track.

Well I went ahead and brewed last evening with the following ingredients:

12lb - Muntons Maris Otter 2 Row Malt (3.0)
2 lb - American Briess 2 Row Malt (1.5)
.40 lb - Crystal 40L

75 minute mash using 3.88 gal of 150 degree water (BeerSmith recommended this amount and temperature), but I used 156 degree water.

1 oz Nugget (13.7% A.A.) for 60 minutes
1 oz Amarillo (7.5% A.A.) for 30 minutes
.50 oz Simcoe (12.0% A.A.) for 15 minutes
.50 oz Cascade (4.0% A.A.) for 15 minutes

My preboil of 6.25 gallons of wort was 1.062 and my final was 1.072 for a 5.25 gallon batch into the primary. I intend to dry hop using Simcoe (.50 oz) and Amarillo (1 oz) and possibly some cascade (.50 oz) for 3 days.

I had to use my 5 gallon igloo cooler/MLT so I scaled back the grain bill from 13 lbs to 12 lbs and I am hoping this doesn't detract from all the great reviews I have read on this thread.

I used the Muntons on a recomendation from my LHBS person and I am hoping I didn't make a mistake.

So any comments on my ingredients and method?

Salute!

You'll have a maltier backbone, but that should be a nice change. When I made it with maris otter and crystal, I thought it was a bit too sweet for my taste, but I'm a total hophead!

Brewed a Partial Mash batch last weekend. Used 12lbs of grain plus 1.75lbs of DME. Substutited home toasted 2-row for the Amber and Columbus for the Warrior. I added the Columbus faster at first then slowed down but I'm interested in how I might estimate the IBU. BeerSmith isn't set up for continuous addition. :)

Pitched US-05 and by now it's almost finished bubbling. Gravity reading, secondary and dry-hopping at the weekend. Looking forward to this after a certain person at HBT sent me a sample of theirs. :D

I'd like to say I have brewed variations of this recipe three times now, and I just keep wanting to brew it again and fine tune. Thanks!

Brewing this up again this weekend. I will add in some Palisades to the aroma hops and some Glacier to the dry hops. I'm also going to be doing a split 10 G batch. One 5 G bucket will get Pacman and the other will get a "Ringwood" strain, WLP005 (BMW were out of Wyeast 1187). Got 1.2 L starters of the yeasties growing now!

Finally got this bottled and ready to drink. It is good - very good - but I'm not sure if I can really distinguish it from my previous batch, that had Yooper's hops schedule. Both yeasts tore through the sugar and I ended up at around 8% ABV though, so this is one potent brew. :drunk: There might be a subtle difference between the two, with the WLP005 having a very slightly maltier taste that I prefer very slightly over the Pacman. I've not done a blind taste test though, so I might just be making that up.

For my next batch, I'll go back to Yooper's hops, as the Pallisades are not easy to get hold of. I might try mashing a bit higher though, or using a less attenuative yeast too see if I like a bit more malt. I'll also lower my grain bill, as 8% is too high for a beer you want to drink as much of as this one!

just finished brewing this up. i did the extract boil:

8.8 lbs dme
1 lb crystal 40
1 Warrior hops 16.4% AA 60-35
.75 Amarillo Gold 8.5% 35-0
.75 Simco 12% (30 minutes) 30-0

i ended up with a og of 1.080. all i have now is qbrew, and it estimated it dead on.
pitched us05 at 58 degrees. I only had one packet so i hope it can handle it, didn't expect that high of og. put it in the fridge and set the temp at 58 degrees! cant wait!

I dry hopped 3 days ago and this evening I am going to transfer to a cornie keg. Any input on filtering this brew when I transfer? I have all the components to filter but I am not certain if this style needs to be crystal clear. Will filtering reduce the hoppiness?

I dry hopped 3 days ago and this evening I am going to transfer to a cornie keg. Any input on filtering this brew when I transfer? I have all the components to filter but I am not certain if this style needs to be crystal clear. Will filtering reduce the hoppiness?

Filtering very well strip out some of those aromatics. But, there sure are alot of hop floaties in there. I'd probably have to recommend against filtering, as when I make this beer it does clear up nicely in the keg just fine and I love the fresh aromatics.

If you do decide to filter, please let us know how it comes out!

I have a 5 micron, 1 micron and .5 micron filter cartridge available. I am thinking the 5 micron would remove much of the heavy sediment but keep the stripping of aromatics to a minimum.

This is my first attempt at DFH 60 minute and I really do not want to screw it up. I have room in the refridgerator to put a 5 gallon carboy in there, so maybe cold crashing would be more in line for clearing this brew.

I will let you know which way I go and how it turns out. Thanks Yooper.

Fellow brewers inspired by this recipe! I have a question!

In all of my batches of this beer so far, it has had a characteristic that I would call "thin". Not lacking in flavor whatsoever, and the color etc is great. Head retention is good, lacing is good... I love it! But the mouthfeel is at odds with the flavors. There's just a certain watery texture to it that I can't figure out the source of.

Could this be water? I'm in north central Ohio, and my brew water is run through an RV hose type charcoal filter. I don't know my water profile. I don't do any additives except yeast nutrient to the boil.

I can dig up a water profile somehow I'm sure. But before I start tinkering, I was hoping I could get some feedback if this is even the right tree to bark at!

Well, I did not filter, but I did tranfer to my corny keg and it has been under 24psi of CO2 for more than a week in the cellar @ 67 degrees. I intend to get this batch into my keg fridge as soon as one of the other brews is gone.

I will blow the pressure and set the regulator to 12psi and give it several days to condition. I am soooo looking forward to sampling this beer.

I had a few DFH60's on Saturday evening at a resturant/bar in Harmony, PA. and I am hopeful this brew will meet or exceed the quality I enjoyed there.

Fellow brewers inspired by this recipe! I have a question!

In all of my batches of this beer so far, it has had a characteristic that I would call "thin". Not lacking in flavor whatsoever, and the color etc is great. Head retention is good, lacing is good... I love it! But the mouthfeel is at odds with the flavors. There's just a certain watery texture to it that I can't figure out the source of.

Could this be water? I'm in north central Ohio, and my brew water is run through an RV hose type charcoal filter. I don't know my water profile. I don't do any additives except yeast nutrient to the boil.

I can dig up a water profile somehow I'm sure. But before I start tinkering, I was hoping I could get some feedback if this is even the right tree to bark at!
I think I understand what you mean. I'm considering mashing mine a few degrees higher next time to get a bit more body. This, or a less attenuative yeast might give it a bit of a fuller mouth feel.

Ok, running to the store now to get ingredients, doing the extract going to use nottingham yeast ale, problem is that it says 3 gallon boil in the recipe, my pot will only boil 2 gallons should i increase my boiling time due to this, or will splitting the time up when i add the dme to 1/2 at beginning 1/2 at flameout be enough? thanks in advance!

I'm getting ready to brew this for my first all grain batch in a couple weeks (YAY!) and I was curious what water adjustments if any people are making. I have been using RO/Distilled water for my extract batches, but know this is won't work for all grain. I was just planning on buying some general store brand spring water and see how that turns out. Still curious as to what others are using.

I just did this tonight with regular tap water no adjustment we will see shorty i did it all extract though, the ****** at the store i think gave me a darker extract than extra light extract will this have an affect on the flavor?......also i only use 9lbs lme instead of the 9.9 that has been recommended, the og taken tonight was just over 1.5 would this be caused by using less extract? thanks!

I'm getting ready to brew this for my first all grain batch in a couple weeks (YAY!) and I was curious what water adjustments if any people are making. I have been using RO/Distilled water for my extract batches, but know this is won't work for all grain. I was just planning on buying some general store brand spring water and see how that turns out. Still curious as to what others are using.

That'll work. Unless you know your water profile, it's better to not adjust the water. If all of your beers taste fine with spring water, that's what I'd use.

I just did this tonight with regular tap water no adjustment we will see shorty i did it all extract though, the ****** at the store i think gave me a darker extract than extra light extract will this have an affect on the flavor?......also i only use 9lbs lme instead of the 9.9 that has been recommended, the og taken tonight was just over 1.5 would this be caused by using less extract? thanks!

It might. If the extract is darker, it has crystal already in it. You may notice a sweeter end flavor. It really depends on the type of extract. If it's "light", that's a lot different than "dark" or "amber". It'll still be good, but not the same recipe. I take it you meant your OG was 1.050? That's way low. I don't think it's possible with 9 pounds of LME. Maybe the top off water wasnt mixed up well enough with the boiled wort, or you add more water to take you over 6 gallons.

yeah i did add about 3.5-3 gallons of water its still cooling so i will take it again should i give it a good stir to get a more accurate og reading?

Alright, this recipe looks awesome. I'm thinking about making it with Wyeast 1099-Whitbread. What do you guys think?

Yooper,

I know you have posted the basic extract recipe a couple of time in a .bsm, but since I do not have the software would it be possible for you to email the .txt file to [email protected]? I am relitively new to brewing, and need more detailed in instructions than the one in the #27/#29 posts. Thanks!

I just put my batch into the refrigerator last night. I will allow at least a week to carbonate properly then open up my tap faucet and sample. Can't wait, but I will.

Thanks for the original recipe Yooper. I modified it a bit, but I am certain it will be a fantastic beer when it is fully carbed.

Yooper,

I know you have posted the basic extract recipe a couple of time in a .bsm, but since I do not have the software would it be possible for you to email the .txt file to [email protected]? I am relitively new to brewing, and need more detailed in instructions than the one in the #27/#29 posts. Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions!

WOW! Talk about hops presence. This brew is definately going to be on my favorites list from now on. I love it! I need to make a few adjustments though.

I did not use any fining in my recipe and it shows. The beer pours very well, lacing is excellant, color is golden, head retention is nice. It is cloudy (Beligian Wit like). I had hoped that after the first few pints it would clear, but it does not appear it is going to. Possibly with more time, but I am okay with the results thus far. I had considered filtering, but decided against it for the first go at this recipe.

I used all Maris Otter instead of American Two Row, so the malt flavor is definately higher and it might just be a bit sweeter than it should be, but again, I can live with it for this batch.

So I plan to get a second batch of this going soon and will adjust my adapted recipe based upon my results for this batch.

Question: If I increased the bittering hops and boiled for 90 minutes, would this then be considered a DFH 90 IPA Clone? What other modifications might need to be made to get to that level?

Back