Does your LHBS acknowledge your custom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
We all have a choice of stores online but I also have 2 LHBS within 45 min drive, both of which are online also. I have found both of them to be well stocked. They usually have what I need when I order online late at night BUT if I ring one store in particular, or drop in, I always get a better deal.... Isn't it usually the other way around.
They gave me 20% off 25kg bag of grain as my BIL will collect the order,
they told me that if I only need to order yeast "No delivery charge jus the cost of postage"
If I tell him what I'm brewing and he is short an ingredient he will NOT send the order until he has all the ingredients, Usually only a day or so delay. He does all this because I make the effort to call to his store.

I am of the opinion that if you support your local business they will repay your loyalty

What do u like about your LHBS?

My closest LHBS is 250 miles away, but I've found the same level of outstanding commitment to customer service from them, and am very grateful for it. In fact, they deliberately do NOT have a website, so that they can continue to do business either in person or (due to Montana distances) over the phone.

At first, it seems like an inconvenience, but after two or three times, the benefits are very plain to see, as you have described. Best of all, even though you might be 250 miles away and only call a couple of times a year, they REMEMBER you and even ask about your job/family etc.

My LHBS is over 150 miles away. I order from Morebeer.com. They don't know who I am, but I always get free shipping :) If I had an LHBS, I would support it.

I can't say that the LHBS guys know my name, but that's because I'm anti-social and don't chat them up. They do however remember what I've brewed last and ask how it turned out. They're only 5miles away and have been in business since 1888 (granted only selling home brew supplies since the late 1980s). It's that great small town store atmosphere where people recognize you, but they have do enough business to rotate stock and keep things fresh.
I've never considered ordering off their webpage because I enjoy going to the store. I've also never tried to get any discount or price match (then again, I've never bought anything expensive enough to make it worthwhile to ask).

My lhbs is about a 20 minute drive each way and I always get snarky comments and know it all remarks from its owner.

This kept me from buying from them for a long time. When I decide to try to support local, I went into the shop and bought only yeast from them. He would ask me about buying other items and I would tell him I got that somewhere else, his tune changed.

My experience local has been ****.

My LHBS is garbage. It's run by people who, although they know what they're talking about, don't give a **** about anything. I've been in a couple times, and they're completely unwilling to answer questions or help anyone. They seem entirely disinterested in everything that happens in their store. I haven't been back in several months now, and I probably will continue to only order from online.

Got two locals, one is a dump the other over priced and lacking...I make a 3 hr round trip, not including spending too much time in the shop, so I can get what I need. If I call ahead they'll have everything bagged up for me when I come in...But for some brews I need to go online to get some specialty grains etc.

I like that mine is a 10 minute drive in terrible traffic. 5 minutes on a good day.

And they're knowledgeable. I've gotten loads of beer advice from them, and talked an hour or so one day about corned beef.

Reading this thread makes me happy that there are 3 LHBS within 30 minutes of my apartment!

I definitely always prefer to give them the business first, especially since it is more convenient than ordering online and waiting for things to arrive. I would support them even if they were a little further away though. I like to patron small businesses.

Pretty simply, they're nice and know their stuff and the prices aren't too bad, what more do you need?

There's a perfect place 19 miles from my house. When I go it's as much a social visit as a trip to the store. And it doesn't cost me anymore than buying online.

On the other hand there is a LHBS on my side of town that is completely the opposite. I can't remember the last time I was in there.

I'll often use the online stores for big orders because it's quite a bit cheaper but I usually drop in at the LHBS once a month to pick up grains or yeast. The owner recognizes me and even commented once on my apfelwein that placed in a local homebrew competetion, which surprised me as I didn't think he knew who I was. He's a cool guy who knows his stuff so I try to pick up items there whenever I can - it's hard to beat the prices online sometimes though.

Actually I like mine. Good selection, decent prices. The one thing that originally annoyed me was them saying hi and remembering my name when walking in or checking out. It made me feel "Norm" and that I spent too much time in there. I guess I must have gotten used to it because I really don't mind. I am terrible at names and couldn't remember any of theirs if my life depended on it, so I guess I should be impressed. They have my loyalty because after you spend a certain amount - you get a discount. Remembering who I am is a good thing in that case.

I've got 5 in town: 2 are close to my work, which are both awesome. 1 down the street from my house, which is awesome. And 2 on the far sides of town, 1 of which is awesome, the other is not.

They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and I end up shopping at almost all of them. I got no complaints.

I don't utilize mine nearly enough. The owner is a wealth of knowledge with numerous brewing awards and is a big part in the local brew club (which I still haven't made it to) as well as teaching local college classes on brewing.

I have 2 LHBS in my city. One has super friendly staff who recognize me and we'll chat a bit when I drop in but their prices aren't good. They don't sell grains or hops in bulk so unfortunately I only go their for equipment and yeast and anything else where the price is only slightly higher. I always bring my friends who are new to brewing their since the service is so good I know they'll be treated well. The other LHBS sells to me in bulk and the staff recognizes me but it's pure business. I'm there for the cheap prices and they like selling to me since it's a smaller city and me buying hops by the pound and grains by the 10lb or 55lb sacks helps them have fresher stock. Since I only go there for the prices I will buy hops online if I save %20 or more. In general I always try to keep my money in local businesses. I try to only buy online if the savings are drastic.

If you live in GA - Brewmasters warehouse is about 5 minutes away from me, and I love it!

They have a great site with a 'brew builder' app, loads of pre-saved recipes from other brewers and helpful, friendly staff.

(One of?) the owner is on this forum, and his signature has a 20% off code + they do flat rate shipping for non-locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have two, one in town for quick things like extra hops or an airlock, the other an hour away where I prefer to go. The owner knows me, we talk about brewing technique together, share our homebrew with each other, and he gets me 55# sacks of grain for a great price.

No, I only buy grain from her and go by the sack, so I see her maybe 5 times a year when I brew a lot. She still doesn't recognize me.

I've always had great experiences with the staff at our LHBS, though like someone else said, I'm pretty introverted so I don't usually chat with them. Their original location, while rather small and dingie, is less than 5 minutes from my house and along my route home from work, so it's the easiest place to stop for supplies and make emergency trips on brewdays. However, they've also got a new location that's 15 minutes from my new job in Ann Arbor, and only adds 5 minutes onto my drive home time, so I really want to check it out someday soon. Google lets you walk through the store here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...0x0000000000000000:0xbaff0042a854a2a2!6m1!1e1

With 2-3 brews a month, I'm sure I'll find some reason to get in there soon.

I have a shop that's about 10 miles from my house. Small place, not the best variety of hops. I shop there when I need something that day/week. They're nice enough and support my club, including have a 20% off sale when they host our club meeting. I'll be going there on Saturday for some grain and hops.

I've always had great experiences with the staff at our LHBS, though like someone else said, I'm pretty introverted so I don't usually chat with them. Their original location, while rather small and dingie, is less than 5 minutes from my house and along my route home from work, so it's the easiest place to stop for supplies and make emergency trips on brewdays. However, they've also got a new location that's 15 minutes from my new job in Ann Arbor, and only adds 5 minutes onto my drive home time, so I really want to check it out someday soon. Google lets you walk through the store here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...0x0000000000000000:0xbaff0042a854a2a2!6m1!1e1

With 2-3 brews a month, I'm sure I'll find some reason to get in there soon.

Soon???? Get in there and drool ('',)

I've got three locals within 15 minutes drive, and another about 45 minutes away. The oldest and by far most well know in the area no longer gets much of my business (even though it is the closest to me, only 5 minutes away) because they are just too pretentious and their prices are somewhat higher than the others.

The one I use most of the time is about 10-15 minutes away and the selection and service are very good.

I do order stuff online when I can't get it at my LHBS (like my beloved plastic Big Mouth Bubblers), but I usually try to support the local guys.

My LHBS is Brewmasters Warehouse and they always get my business but I do order online because it's easier to use their website and get a recipe made up and ready for me when I swing by.

There is another place on my way home from work but they are overpriced, don't properly handle their ingredients, and their selection is worse. They don't even have roasted barely!

My LHBS is pretty good. Their selection is excellent and they've never been out of something I need. They're friendly, but not overly so. Their prices are just good enough for me to buy most things from them vs. online. I've never bought anything online except my original starter kit and stainless steel chiller. I used to be 5 minutes from them, but moved about 1/2 hour away so I have to make sure I get everything I need for a batch since I can't make a quick trip there like I used to.

I've got three locals within 15 minutes drive, and another about 45 minutes away. The oldest and by far most well know in the area no longer gets much of my business (even though it is the closest to me, only 5 minutes away) because they are just too pretentious and their prices are somewhat higher than the others.

The one I use most of the time is about 10-15 minutes away and the selection and service are very good.

SLC and a brew shop is pretentious. Gee I wonder which one that is.

I almost exclusively use the newest of the 3 shops in SLC (who moved across the street FYI) coming from outside Park City I'm pretty sure it's the closest and they've always treated me well. I don't go in often enough that they "know" me but I always feel welcome and get the sense they might not be able to remember what I did last but that I'm not a new face around the shop.

SLC and a brew shop is pretentious. Gee I wonder which one that is.

I almost exclusively use the newest of the 3 shops in SLC (who moved across the street FYI) coming from outside Park City I'm pretty sure it's the closest and they've always treated me well. I don't go in often enough that they "know" me but I always feel welcome and get the sense they might not be able to remember what I did last but that I'm not a new face around the shop.

Yup, I'm sure you know the one I mean. ;) And the ones who moved across the street....exactly who I use. Good people.

I have 4 LHBS within 20 minutes of me but I've only ever used one that is about 5 minutes away depending on traffic. They have great prices, except on equipment. I've decided to just stick to ingredients only from them. They always treat me really well. I also like that the first time I went in for an AG batch the encouraged me to grab a couple grains and taste them. They are opening a nano with a tasting room soon right next door.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I enjoy going to high gravity my LHBS all the personnel seem real nice and although I'm new to home brewing they take my questions very well and give me a answer to it. I enjoy shopping at the store it lets me look for things and gives me time out of the house. (I 'm retired)

I have 2 in town. I only shop at the one that is farther away. Their prices beat most I see online (I get a longtime customer discount), they're fun to talk with, They all know me by name, I can get my own grains and crush them myself on their mill and I've been shopping there since I started in 97. I love supporting local.
They do online ordering also, but I've never bothered.

http://www.brewyourownbrew.com/ :mug:

Back