Does US-05 give anyone else a weird krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
I've used Safale US-05 a couple of times now, and both times the strain has given me the weirdest krausen. Usually my krausen looks a little bit like what you would see if you poured a beer, lots of little bubbles that will push up some sediment which rests on top.

Safale US-05 makes a tiny head and then starts growing yeast on the top of the krausen. At the end of day 1 a small amount of yeast was on top of the head. Then the next day the yeast grows on top of the krausen until it covers it up. Once it covers the top the krausen starts making huge yeasty bubbles. You can also see "strings" of yeast dropping into the beer. :rockin:

I've only used a few other dry yeasts (mostly from Safale but also Danstar's Notty) and they behave so differently.

Does anyone else get this when they use US-05? Are there any other yeasts that behave in the same way?

2015-03-11%2008.01.36_zpsxzg34v5m.jpg

2015-03-11%2008.01.04_zpsehfp1jsa.jpg

I've used Safale US-05 a couple of times now, and both times the strain has given me the weirdest krausen. Usually my krausen looks a little bit like what you would see if you poured a beer, lots of little bubbles that will push up some sediment which rests on top.

Safale US-05 makes a tiny head and then starts growing yeast on the top of the krausen. At the end of day 1 a small amount of yeast was on top of the head. Then the next day the yeast grows on top of the krausen until it covers it up. Once it covers the top the krausen starts making huge yeasty bubbles. You can also see "strings" of yeast dropping into the beer. :rockin:

I've only used a few other dry yeasts (mostly from Safale but also Danstar's Notty) and they behave so differently.

Does anyone else get this when they use US-05? Are there any other yeasts that behave in the same way?

2015-03-11%2008.01.36_zpsxzg34v5m.jpg

2015-03-11%2008.01.04_zpsehfp1jsa.jpg

I use it on most of my ales and lately the kraussen has been really thin but not like that. Are you sprinkling it into the wort or are you hydrating it and then pitching it? The reason I ask is because i hydrate it first and never get the yeast growing on top of the kraussen.

I get that from Wyeast American Ale. Not sure if I've got it from Safeale. I quit using the stuff because it gave me a nasty aftertaste every time.

I use it on most of my ales and lately the kraussen has been really thin but not like that. Are you sprinkling it into the wort or are you hydrating it and then pitching it? The reason I ask is because i hydrate it first and never get the yeast growing on top of the kraussen.

I hydrate my yeast at ~86F, let sit for ~20 minutes, stir for ~3-4 minutes to oxygenate it, and then usually pitch within 5-10 minutes of that.

This is an all grain IPA with ~92% 2-row/munch and ~8% crystal 40/honey malt with an O.G. of 1.069

I get that from Wyeast American Ale. Not sure if I've got it from Safeale. I quit using the stuff because it gave me a nasty aftertaste every time.

Yeah, I need to invest in a stir plate and flask so I can start using and reusing liquid yeast.

I hydrate my yeast at ~86F, let sit for ~20 minutes, stir for ~3-4 minutes to oxygenate it, and then usually pitch within 5-10 minutes of that.

This is an all grain IPA with ~92% 2-row/munch and ~8% crystal 40/honey malt with an O.G. of 1.069

Hmmm, the only thing that I do differently is dip a little wort out with a measuring cup before i start the boil and hydrate with that. I dont see anything weird about the way you are doing it though.

Yeah, I need to invest in a stir plate and flask so I can start using and reusing liquid yeast.

Flask is $20 and a stirstarter plate is $40. You can make a stir plate for even less. Well worth the investment.

Hmmm, the only thing that I do differently is dip a little wort out with a measuring cup before i start the boil and hydrate with that. I dont see anything weird about the way you are doing it though.

You use the wort to hydrate or add a little bit of wort to the water you're hydrating with?

FWIW hydrating with wort is supposed to be a bad practice (reference), although I guess it wouldn't be much different then sprinkling the packet directly into the cooled wort.

You use the wort to hydrate or add a little bit of wort to the water you're hydrating with?

FWIW hydrating with wort is supposed to be a bad practice (reference), although I guess it wouldn't be much different then sprinkling the packet directly into the cooled wort.

I do, i have read that it is bad practice but Ive done it like that for 50 or so batches and my most recent ipa finished at 1.011 from 1.075. I have also hydrated in straight water with about the same results. I haven't seen anything negative from my experiences.

**edit** I use the wort to hydrate the yeast.

I use only dry yeast and the krausen with US05 always looks exactly like that.

Looks fine to me.

Harvest the yeast from this batch and you will have liquid yeast to reuse. Once a dry yeast ferments out a beer, the harvested yeast has the same properties as if a liquid yeast was used for the ferment.

Harvest the yeast from this batch and you will have liquid yeast to reuse. Once a dry yeast ferments out a beer, the harvested yeast has the same properties as if a liquid yeast was used for the ferment.

Yeah, I have been washing and reusing my yeast lately. I was talking about using liquid yeast / smackpacks that would give me access to a larger variety and higher quality of yeast. I'd need to make starters to get up to the recommended pitching rate.

:mug:

Says who?

Higher quality may have been the wrong word to use. Liquid yeast would allow me to explore more varieties of yeast. Everyone has personal preferences and for me all of my favorite brews tend to use liquid yeast. Certainly nothing inherently lower quality about us05.

What temps are you guys seeing this at? I used US-05 for the first time around 64° and didn't see anything like that.

That is what my krausen with US-05 always looks like. Perfectly normal.

I use US05 a lot and like it. I have never seen a krausen like that one but then again I usually only take a look the next day to see that something is happening. I then close up my fermentation chamber. I might not take another look for a week or more.

After 9 days my krausen still has a ton of viable looking yeast chilling on top. My other 2 brews look totally normal using Safale T58 and Wyeast B15 :confused:

2015-03-16%2017.11.04_zps4uetjanm.jpg

Looks OK to me. Here's my IPA using S05 taken today after 5 days in primary.

I used some US05 because it's all I had available. It looks identical to this picture. I did my first full volume brew. My first all grain BIAB. Hoping I don't get the peachy flavor from the US05.

I've got a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone going right now. Used two packets of 05 rehydrated and it's fermenting at 64 degrees. Looks exactly like the OP's pic. And it's been cranking steady for 5 days now.

Hoping I don't get the peachy flavor from the US05.

I've brewed more than 15 batches with US-05 and have never had peachy or any off flavors, even when doing light recipes like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I start off cold (~65f) and ramp up the temp as yeast activity declines, finishing somewhere around 75f after about 10 days.

US-05 generates a huge krausen at any temp over 70f, but never anything with bubbles like in the OP's photos. I wonder if the bubbles are due to a difference in protein content of the wort due to process or the grain bill.

I've brewed more than 15 batches with US-05 and have never had peachy or any off flavors, even when doing light recipes like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I start off cold (~65f) and ramp up the temp as yeast activity declines, finishing somewhere around 75f after about 10 days.

US-05 generates a huge krausen at any temp over 70f, but never anything with bubbles like in the OP's photos. I wonder if the bubbles are due to a difference in protein content of the wort due to process or the grain bill.

I've got it every time from US05. Since this was the first full volume brew maybe I won't get it. Also it's not extract. I'm hoping that it's one of those two variables.

Sounds like you need to do a split batch and pitch WLP001 in the second half so that you can figure out if it's the US-05 yeast or your process. Tough one to troubleshoot if it's your process!

I've got a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone going right now. Used two packets of 05 rehydrated and it's fermenting at 64 degrees. Looks exactly like the OP's pic. And it's been cranking steady for 5 days now.

I'd love to get my hands on your clone, love this beer! :ban:

I just took a gravity reading on my imperial brown. US-05 took it from 1.080 to 1.014 in less than 8 days, starting at 61F and ending at 65F. That is consistent with my experience of this yeast being a strong fermenter even at the lower end of traditional ale yeast temperatures. Very clean when fermented cool.

Re-visited my notes and I usually ramp up to about 70-72F with this yeast, not 75F as I previously indicated.

That seems odd for that far along in the fermentation given that the temperature is well above the minimum for US-05. Did you oxygenate and/or add yeast nutrients?

Those look like co2 bubbles and not krausen but that's just my guess. My experience with 05 is that it gets a normal foamy krausen then just all drops until basically there is nothing left on top of the beer. Maybe do a gentle swirl not slosh and see if some of those bubbles don't get re absorbed or get your airlock to burp a little. But 15 days is a long time to have any top activity.

I'm starting to think you may have an infection on your hands. 15 days at 66 - 68 and it should've finishedz

This is your best bet. I don't have a stir plate and still make starters lately off of my washed wlp001 and I've found it much better than 05 in terms of activity attenuation and clearing.

Aren't 001 and 05 the sane strain? At any rate, I pitched 05 slurry in my last batch and it finished in 5 days. I still bottled at 14 though.

Day 17 - I gave the carboy a not so gentle swirl to try to get the yeast to drop this morning. A lot of it dropped ~12 hours later it looks like this:

2015-03-24%2022.10.37_zpsrqbzmuwn.jpg

That seems odd for that far along in the fermentation given that the temperature is well above the minimum for US-05. Did you oxygenate and/or add yeast nutrients?

I oxygenate the wort by agitating it with a degassing wand and use yeast nutrients.

There's a little bit of activity with the occasional piece of yeast catching a ride on a CO2 bubble and coming to the top but it's probably hit FG. The krausen dropped around day 4 and just left a bunch of wet yeast hanging out.

Back