Does this yeast look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke145

Reaction score
I'm about to reuse yeast for the first time so I may be a little paranoid but this yeast looks a lot darker then the yeast I've seen in videos, pictures and previous batches I have brewed. This just came e from a carboy of a English bitter which I just kegged that ha been pitched on the 21st of November. I have little hop debris or hot break going into my fermenter, Is this just clean yeast? I was planning to rouse it a bit and pitch it tomorrow.

Any other thought or comments would also be welcome as I just recently started brewing again and re using yeast is new to me.

20151203_200831.jpg

Two weeks old and looks pretty good from here.
You'll likely only need half of that for a middling OG 5 gallon batch.
You could bank the rest...

Cheers!

Two weeks old and looks pretty good from here.
You'll likely only need half of that for a middling OG 5 gallon batch.
You could bank the rest...

Cheers!

Thanks, I had two carboys which yielded 5 pints of slurry. Could I just rouse this in a flask and split it between to carboys filled with a stout, OG 1046?

Thanks, It's like I told a guy watching me brew this batch, "Its science but it ain't rocket science". I was thinking it was OK but it can't hurt to run it by another brewer.

:)

Well, you are not really seeing much yeast in that picture..... the top liquid is beer. the top of the thicker part has some yeast with trub, and the rest is yeast and trub all mixed together......

It looks all right to me. Take a look at Mrmalty.com to see how much "slurry" to use in your next batch.

Back