Does this look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeroyJenkins

Reaction score
http://i.imgur.com/wBByhVV.jpg

Hey guys,

Its a double IPA kit from BB, and its been fermenting for 14 days. It stopped bubbling today, and the FG is a few points high. Its around 22 and it should be between 15 and 19. It has a bit of a sweet kinda fruity taste, but fermentation temps went up and down a couple times so maybe off flavours from that? Or is it not done fermenting? Or hopefully not, but could it be infected?

Hoping the big white thing is just a reflection of the flash...

What was the OG? I'm guessing pretty high given 'double ipa.' Probably not done yet so give it another week or so and see if it has dropped any farther. The fruity flavors are most likely from ester production due to higher fermentation temps.

Yeah...definitely give it more time to get down from 84.

Some of the fruitiness will age out and will probably become a little less annoying as the beer dries out more. I'm honestly not sure what dry hopping would do to it. I mean you could probably compliment the ester flavors with certain hop aromas, but I don't think you could really counteract them. I think it will depend on what fruit flavors you are getting and what hops you have. Higher esters would probably go better in a citra-heavy beer than they would in something very earthy but I'm just guessing here.

looks like leftover krausen & floaters to me. Let the beer finish fermenting,then give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by products of fermentation before packaging. That should help with the esters a bit. bottle time helps too,but it isn't a cure-all.

If you can, warm it up a few degrees. Swirl the yeast to get it re-suspended.

You could do a hop tea- boil the hops in a low gravity wort or even water, then add them to counter the sweetness.

If you didn't, I am a major fan of O2 injection, it'll help the beer ferment better, I think it is a key investment in brew equipment, along with a stir plate to do starters.

Back