Does this look like an infection, or yeast rafters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeoso

Reaction score
So I was going to keg my xmas ale a few days ago, and when I opened it, there were white flakes floating on the surface, it didn't smell or taste bad, but i was definitely concerned. Instead I transferred to see if anything would change. I checked it today (4 days later) and today it had a white film on the surface.

Fermentation was complete at initial transfer, as FG remained steady. Only thing I did different was that I added pure vanilla extract instead of using vanilla beans soaked in vodka.

Any ideas or advice? I'm leaning toward taking my losses and dumping it, unless one of you alls expertise says otherwise. Picture sequence: 1. Flakes on surface, 2. Transfer to another bucket, 3. Four days later with white film on surface.
20211210_122154.jpg
20211210_124118.jpg
20211214_181242.jpg

Unless you poured some liquified Crisco in that fermenter I'd say that's got some bugs going on.
I've never dealt with same so can't offer any guidance, save for the classics: If is smells ok, taste it. If it tastes ok, package it...

Cheers!

So far it smells ok, I'll draw some tomorrow for a good taste. Thanks for the input

Transferring from an open bucket into another open bucket will introduce oxygen to the beer. That's one reason why secondaries are not helpful. Oxygen gives new life to the invader.

After a good taste for drinkability, keg it and keep it cold to slow down growth. The pellicle itself is harmless, as are the bacteria or wild yeasts that got inside.

As per the above, you can let it ride and see if it's something you would like to drink. In the meantime you should go over your cleaning & sanitizing process; something got in there. Once you have the beer out, completely clean (nothing scratchy on plastic, soft sponge or microfiber cloth is best) your fermenter, with hot water and either dish soap or oxyclean, and rinse well; and replace any tubing that may be harboring the bug that got in there. It may seem pricey, but in the long run it will save you $$ and, more importantly, beer.

What she says.^
Clean well, then sanitize thoroughly.
You may want to give the bucket, lid, airlock, etc. a bleach batch for a few hours (or day), then rinse well to remove all traces of bleach.

Any clue where the infection may have come from?
Spigots are notorious bug traps, they need to be taken apart, all pieces that move/rotate, scrubbed/cleaned/sanitized.

Rubber grommets are another area bugs can hide, so is the groove in the lid.

The secondary bucket did have a spigot, so that could have been hwere the bug came from. Will definitely use the bleach to clean and Sanitize everything thoroughly. Thank you

The secondary bucket did have a spigot
Buckets are not good for secondaries, they have huge headspaces filled with air (not CO2), while lids may not seal well. Air contact should be avoided once fermentation starts, as it causes beer to oxidate.
Generally, secondaries are not necessary, leave in primary until ready to package, even when dry hopping.

Secondaries can be used for bulk aging over 4-6 weeks, or adding fruit and such.

Bottle it

Happens to me occasionally

Tastes not effected much as far as I can tell

Maybe give the barrel a serious multiclean if your worried about it happening again

If fermentation was complete why didn't you just keg/bottle it right then and there? Just moving it to another vessel or letting it sit more is not helping IMO.

I didn't bottle it because I added bourbon and vanilla, which is why I went to secondary. I guess I could have added both to primary., and all of my carboys were already in use. Oh well big lesson learned.
I'm going to keg it today and throw it in the keezer to slow down the growth as suggested above

well don't dump it...nothing to lose trying to keg and drink it.

If it's bad, your loss was already established long before you even posted the question...

Back