Does this IPA look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 91.60 %
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.58 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.82 %
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (60 min) Hops 35.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (15 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.00 %
Bitterness: 67.1 IBU

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.69 qt of water at 165.1 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 9.83 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Does this look ok, its my second time using beer smith and the first time I did not use enough water during the mash out but I think I got it better this time. Does beer smith take into account grain absorbency? Second I also have these hops to choose from but I would like to use the Citra hops.
Amarillo 4oz
Citra 4oz
Summit 4oz
Centennial 4oz
Citra 4oz
Any suggestions would be great

You might consider bittering with Simcoe to take advantage of its low cohumulone.

Are you planning a no-sparge lauter? Not too sure what you're asking.

If you batch sparge, you don't have to rely on estimations of grain absorbency. It is demonstrated as the difference between strike (EDIT: plus mashout) volume and first runnings volume.

With your strike water volume, your almost using a BIAB method.

Are you using a mash tun and sparging or are you just rinsing your grains to achieve your volume?

On the recipe, I would bump the crystal to 1 # and add a 1/2 # of flaked wheat.

I personally like to use Warrior or Columbus for bittering.

Bull

Second on the change of the bittering hop. I have not used Citra, but I have some I plan to use and in my research some feedback indicates that they are best for late hopping and a bit harsh when used as a bittering hop. Simcoe is a great bittering hop, its a great everything hop-I would go that route. You can stand a bit more crystal if you want more body and sweetness-all depends on your tastes. Seeing as you are in SD, you have a lot of great local IPA's to develope your preferences from: Alesmith, Green Flash, Pizza Port, etc. Of those I think Green Flash is my favorite and they use 1.3 lbs carastan 30/37 as the crystal in a 5 gallon batch (clone recipe)-almost 10 %.

Brew On!

Tim

Thanks for the responce, I used simcoe as a bettering for my last IPA and it worked great so i will try 1oz of simcoe for 60 instead of Citra and for the batch sparge i will use 4 gallons for mash in and 5 gallons mash out. Does this sound right?

Oh, it's a terminology thing.

Mashout is when you add BOILING water to raise the mash temp (to 165-170 about) BEFORE you run off. Sparge additions are separate.

Is there a huge difference because I have only done sparge additions? And how do i configure this in beer smith because I can't seem to find it on the drop down menu?, I am using an online calculator for the water additions

For batch sparging, don't worry about the sparge additions -- your total sparge volume is exactly target preboil volume minus first runnings volume. You can easily eyeball this if you have a graduated sightglass or measuring stick for your kettle.

Use the calculator for mashout. It should compensate for tun thermal mass.

So from my understanding I should do 4.5 gallons for 60 then add 2.5 gallons for 10 minutes and then drain the mash tun. Then rinse the grains with 2.5 gallons again? I am having a bit of trouble understanding this. I am going to try and read further because i have not done it this way before. Edit Ok sorry so I do 4.5 gallons at 60min then add a mash out step without draining the wort. For this mash out step I should add the amount of water that the grains will absorb? So lets say 1.5 gallons of water. Let this sit for 10 min and drain wort. Then I do a sparge at about 5 gallons? Does this sound right? The numbers are not exact but somewhat close?

You add enough boiling water to get the mash to your desired mashout temp, usually 165 to 170ºF. Wait 10. Run off. The volume that you didn't fill in your kettle is your sparge volume.

Smiple.:)

Back