Does This Fit a Style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I generally don't try to match styles when I brew, but a while back, I provided a list of ingredients, and someone here said the beer I made looked like some Belgian style or other. I can't find the thread to save my life. Can someone tell me if this fits anything?

9 # Maris Otter
2 # 10L crystal
4 oz. table sugar
1 oz. Nugget 60 min.
1 oz. Crystal 15 min.
1 oz. Crystal steep
Abbaye yeast

Ferment at room temperature or as low as 68. Should have lots of banana flavor and around 70 IBU's.

I agree with @AlexKay. Looks like a Belgian Single / Patersbier but a bit too strong to fit that style perfectly. But you could probably get away with it. Or consider it a sort of "Belgian Single and a Half" -- someplace between Single and Tripel.

Or just be like the Belgians and ignore style, and enjoy this beer for whatever it is. Cheers.

Oh, all my beer is Belgian. All of it. That's my explanation for everything.

I don't care about styles, but if I know a beer fits a style, it makes it easier to tell people what it is.

It's closer to an IPA than anything else I've tried, but it's not an IPA.

Oh, all my beer is Belgian. All of it. That's my explanation for everything.

I don't care about styles, but if I know a beer fits a style, it makes it easier to tell people what it is.

It's closer to an IPA than anything else I've tried, but it's not an IPA.
BJCP lists a Belgian IPA, and now that I’m looking at it, it’s a reasonable fit. Bitterness is about right, Crystal a perfectly reasonable hop choice. Abbaye isn’t assertive enough to give you the yeast-derived flavors to compete with the hops. But close! Call it a Belgian IPA.

The Maris isn't typical for Belgians. But yeah, a Belgian PA would be close. Shouldn't matter, if it tastes good, that's all that matters. Like you say, close enough for gummint work.

Latest posts

Back