CIP Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a recirculating pump commonly used with hot water baseboard heating systems. If you notice, it is rated for a maximum pressure of only 0.3 BAR, which corresponds to a little over 4 PSI. I'm not strong on fluid dynamics but I suspect it would struggle to move much volume through the highly resistive tiny tubing we use for dispensing - particularly down in the 4mm ID range popular with EVABarrier tubing...

Cheers!

That is a recirculating pump commonly used with hot water baseboard heating systems. If you notice, it is rated for a maximum pressure of only 0.3 BAR, which corresponds to a little over 4 PSI. I'm not strong on fluid dynamics but I suspect it would struggle to move much volume through the highly resistive tiny tubing we use for dispensing - particularly down in the 4mm ID range popular with EVABarrier tubing...

Cheers!
That is a great point thanks for noticing that.

Still, I think it's worth getting a second opinion.
I'm definitely not too proud to ask, so let us see if I can tempt @doug293cz to take a look, as he's the resident fluid dynamics guru on HBT :D

Cheers!

Cheers!
Are you sure it says 0.3 BAR somewhere? I followed the link and it says.
  • 【Main Parameter】- NPT 3/4 inch (19.05 mm) inlet/outlet. Voltage/Frequency: 110-120V, 60Hz. Rated power: 93/67/46 W. Max pressure: 145 psi (10 bar). Three speed modes. Flow: 40/29/20 LPM (10.4/7.66/5.28 GPM). Max head: 6/4.9/4 m (20/16/13 ft). Fluid temp range: 0℉ -+212℉.

I'm going by the very first picture at the Amazon link. Sure looks like .3 Bar from here...

1697322356048.png

These are vane pumps and given their apparent usage intent - recirculation - there's not much of a need for velocity hence pressure (recirculation may be the least stressful pump paradigm as all the pump is really doing is stirring). My primary house has baseboard hot water heat and the velocity through the piping and radiators is best described as "plodding"...

Cheers!

I tried searching the page originally but didn't look at the sticker. The sticker and written specs don't seem to match up but maybe the text is a max on incoming pressure. Or else they kept the description like a template and didn't fully edit. I think that's how they get lots of reviews on new or similar products on Amazon My radiant heat system has the expansion tank and fill at 12 psi. I have a Bell and Gossett Series 100 pump, which is a little sturdier than this one. Specs say 125 psi however for the pump. I don't know though, the emergency relief is 30 psi.

It says Hmax 6.5m, which is only ~10psi. Not sure what the max .3bar or max. 3bar is about, as that's like 5psi.

Do they publish pump curves? It kills me that none of the homebrew pumps seem to have any real documentation. I guess if you emailed it's some OEM pump with docs.

Last edited:
Closed system pressure may not be relevant wrt pump pressure rating as the pump is not working against the pressure tank...

Cheers!
That makes sense. For the text on the product page then, max pressure (145 psi) may be for the maximum system pressure. Pex tubing is rated at about 160 down to 100 psi based on temperature and municipal water can vary quite a bit (usually under 100 psi at the residence). I was told once by a plumber that pex might need a pressure regulator for code.

I did put together a a manifold (parallel) for my 4 tap jockey box in order to CIP as you suggested once. It was sufficient to use only one pump (Spike Flow). The manifold is built out of 1/2" ID tubing but it also runs through Evabarrier on the returns and also the coils of course. I added in my other pump (Blichmann) in parallel just to experiment and promptly blew the hoses off the barbs as it was a prototype and I didn't want to waste the Oetiker clamps LOL. It was unnecessary though.

It says Hmax 6.5m, which is only ~10psi. Not sure what the max .3bar or max. 3bar is about, as that's like 5psi.

Do they publish pump curves? It kills me that none of the homebrew pumps seem to have any real documentation. I guess if you emailed it's some OEM pump with docs.
March has pump curves not sure about any others.

Back