Does the aroma decrease over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
My plan is to boil outside and ferment in our laundry room which is 10 feet from the kitchen. Is it reasonable to expect the process to throw off the largest amount of fumes during the first 3-4 days of fermentation and fall off once it gets to the secondary? I could do the first week in a separate room if it would make a meaningful difference.

Moving from room 1 to room 2 would involve stairs which would certainly stir up any sediments.

I'm not sure if I need to bother with a glass carboy secondary as I don't care much about clarity. I like unfiltered wheat beer (Allagash White!) and heavy Belgians so I don't need to read a newspaper through it.

thanks

It will probably be the stinkiest during the first week... So if it bothers the locals, you could move it to and fro to decrease exposure to tte delicious smells of fermenting beer. ;)

In my experience,what little comes out of the airlock isn't enough to warrent moving it all over the place. Not like a dead skunk slow roasting in the Carolina sun.:drunk: Just leave it in the laundry room,covered.

The wife is super sensitive with smells so I understand...but it was only for like a day or two...i freakin g love the smell but different strokes....

There's not really any "fumes" or smell that comes out of the fermenter unless you get your nose right up there. Don't worry about it.

The smells from fermenting beer aren't much different from baking bread. Some people have had a problem with CO2 buildup in small rooms, but that's generally not a problem.

Back