Does purging keg and re seating with 30 P.S.I. make sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am getting into bottling more off of my keg. I was going to purge the keg fully, and then when I am done, hit it with 30PSI to make sure the lid is seated properly again.I normally hit it with 30PSI right when I fill the keg and this works very well to minimize leaks in the lid. Is this going to waste a lot of c02 when I purge each time I bottle and hit it with 30PSI afterwards? Is this necessary? What do others do when they purge the keg? The reason I am doing this is because sometimes when I bring it back from purged to about 5-8PSI I can hear the C02 leaking out of the top.

I'm trying to figure out what process you are using to bottle from the keg which requires you to purge each time you do it. Could you please elaborate?

I'm trying to figure out what process you are using to bottle from the keg which requires you to purge each time you do it. Could you please elaborate?
Yeah that.

New gasket set is $3.50 at my LHBS. I think you might be confusing with the word purge. Either that or you are maybe siphon filling bottles from an opened keg?!?!? :confused:

Are you dropping the pressure low, using a bottle filler like the BMBF, bottling and then bringing it back to 30 PSI after you are done bottling to insure the lid is sealed? That shouldn't take a whole lot of CO2 and there isn't any purging involved since you never introduce air to the keg. If you are doing this and the keg lid is leaking CO2, I would look into replacing seals or straightening the lid or opening in the top of the keg.

I am using a Blichmann beer gun or the BMBF either one i pull the pressure relief on the keg, lower the regulator pressure to 5psi fill bottles then hit the keg with 30psi to make sure the lid seal is still tight and lower the regulator back to 12-14 psi where it originally was. Am I doing something wrong in this process? I have just noticed when you fully relieve all the pressure in the keg sometimes the lid becomes not sealed anymore.

I am using a Blichmann beer gun or the BMBF either one i pull the pressure relief on the keg, lower the regulator pressure to 5psi fill bottles then hit the keg with 30psi to make sure the lid seal is still tight and lower the regulator back to 12-14 psi where it originally was. Am I doing something wrong in this process? I have just noticed when you fully relieve all the pressure in the keg sometimes the lid becomes not sealed anymore.

Nothing wrong that you're doing that I can point to. If you're becoming unsealed when you hit the PRV, it may be that the latch mechanism for the lid isn't putting enough up pressure on it. Some report fixing this by putting a penny under each of the legs.

I don't believe that you're using up that much CO2 by hitting it with 30psi briefly to reseal.

Back