Does OG relate to alcohol level?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
I've noticed that on a lot of beer recipe kits that they don't say the estimated alcohol level in the description. Does the OG relate to a guess of what the alcohol may be? Does an OG of 1.085 mean 8.5%?

Jobe5217 said:
I've noticed that on a lot of beer recipe kits that they don't say the estimated alcohol level in the description. Does the OG relate to a guess of what the alcohol may be? Does an OG of 1.085 mean 8.5%?

Your ABV is calculated by subtracting your FG from your OG and multiplying by 131... So (OG-FG)x131= alcohol by volume.

Alone, your OG doesn't tell us what you're ABV will be.

Usually...but to determine the ABV in your batch of beer, you take the OG and the final reading. For many beers, you do assume it should be around what your OG reading is. However, the bigger the OG the higher the FG will be: there will be more unfermentables. That factor contributes to double IPAs, imperial stouts, etc having a perceived sweetness depending on attenuation or IBUs.

Not exactly, it's a measure of how much sugar is in your in fermented beer. You need to find out your final gravity (how much sugar is left in your post fermented beer) and that will tell you how much sugar is missing. Since there is no sugar fairy, the only other reason for missing sugar is that the sugar turned into alcohol. Lots of calculators online and I've got one on my iPhone.
Analogy- how much did my cat eat? (Alcohol content)
How much food was in his dish to start? (OG)
How much food is left in his dish? (FG)
Ah, so the missing food must be what he's eaten! (ABv)

Not exactly, it's a measure of how much sugar is in your in fermented beer. You need to find out your final gravity (how much sugar is left in your post fermented beer) and that will tell you how much sugar is missing. Since there is no sugar fairy, the only other reason for missing sugar is that the sugar turned into alcohol. Lots of calculators online and I've got one on my iPhone.
Analogy- how much did my cat eat? (Alcohol content)
How much food was in his dish to start? (OG)
How much food is left in his dish? (FG)
Ah, so the missing food must be what he's eaten! (ABv)

Very well put!

Well without getting into the final gravity discussion -- which is the end all calculation. (For arguments sake, then yes, use that)...

Generally, and again I say Generally... An OG of 1.085 would give an ending ABV of somewhere near 9.5 -10.0%

Most yeast, if you assume an average of 75-80% attenuation, would take a 1.085 wort -depending on mash temp- into a 9.0-10.0%. Most of my experience has led to something around a 1:1.1 ratio of lower OG reading to ABV. Meaning 1.085 = 8.5 * 1.1 = 9.3%. Its just a very wide ballpark that I've used in my brewing.

There are a lot of variables involved if you want exact ABV estimations, but I generally use the 1:1.1 rule to get me in the ballpark.

I've been usuing the Cooper's formula of (OG-FG)/7.46 + .5 =ABV%. It does coincide with the ranges given in BS2.

Back