Does it matter what liquid you use in the airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I've been using tap water in my airlock. But I read some posts where people were using all sorts of things. One poster even said that he was using vodka. So does it matter what you use?

I use vodka as it is just another means of sanitizing but water works fine.

Vodka evaporates quickly though so you have to keep an eye on it.

I too use liquor, because sometimes that liquid can get sucked into the fermenter (e.g. if there's a temperature drop) and I figure if something did get sucked in, I'd prefer vodka, rum or bourbon to sanitizing solution.

I use vodka. If there's suckback, it won't do a thing to the wort but up the ABV a little. Plain water can mold. I had that happen once in a long-term mead I was aging, and have used vodka ever since.

From some of the previous posts that I have read (and from personal experience so far), when using a 3 piece airlock, there is never any suck-back, like there is when using an S-shaped airlock, so starsan works great!

From some of the previous posts that I have read (and from personal experience so far), when using a 3 piece airlock, there is never any suck-back, like there is when using an S-shaped airlock, so starsan works great!

Really? I've experienced the opposite. Using a three piece in better bottles I can get it to backwash the airlock just by lifting the carboy by its neck. Using a double bubbler all I get is a little bit of gas and no liquid heading back into the carboy.

That is not a true statement. I have had it happen everytime i cold crash. 3 piece or not.

Definitely not so with brew buckets (what I've been using up till now). Seems like every time I ever so much as looked at the lid my 3-piece sucked back. I've always used vodka for that reason (that and very few of my friends drink vodka, easy to keep it on hand).

I use starsan as well but seem to need to refill my airlock constantly as it all foams out of the top. You guys got a way around this?

Vodka, with the exception of my barleywine that's in the primary right now. I've got the airlock filled with Makers Mark. ;0)

Any chance vodka could attract vinegar flies?

I use either star san and/or wrap the airlock with plastic wrap and a rubber band. C02 will still escape. A lot of brewers I know simply use plastic wrap and the o-ring from the fermenter lid to seal the top of the fermenter and dispense with the airlock altogether. I've done that once or twice but I prefer the lid because it's solid and the airlock is an easy way to seal that tiny hole..

I moved to a blowoff tube in a bucket of Starsan solution because I was freaked out by my Better Bottle sucking water back in through the airlock. Clean water, sanitizer, vodka, etc, I don't want anything I didn't include in the recipe in my beer. :cross:

Vodka goes in all my airlocks after I noticed them sucking in star san one day. Its cheap insurance than *nothing* is going to live in it.

I use Finlandia vodka because I'm trying to get rid of it. I don't drink hard liquor. At least if it gets sucked back, I have some half decent vodka in my beer.

I don't use StarSan, I use a 12.5 ppm solution of Idophor so I guess that's what I'll go with. Thanks everyone! :mug:

I don't use StarSan, I use a 12.5 ppm solution of Idophor so I guess that's what I'll go with. Thanks everyone! :mug:

I use iodophor as well. Keep in mind that the iodophor loses its effectiveness much more quickly than starsan so in a short while the iodophor in the airlock will turn into regular water, which is totally fine because it has been sanitized (which is again why I just boil tap water and use that).

I use bleach and water. It is dirt cheap, won't mold, evaporate, or have any other issues. As for suck back I have never seen it. Either people have different airlocks than me or they're overfilling them. My airlocks will let through air before they ever let in sanitiser...

I use bleach and water. It is dirt cheap, won't mold, evaporate, or have any other issues. As for suck back I have never seen it. Either people have different airlocks than me or they're overfilling them. My airlocks will let through air before they ever let in sanitiser...

Minor quibble: bleach will mold. There's stuff it won't kill, and I've talked to people who have left sanitizing-strength bleach solutions sitting out for long periods of time and came back to find interesting stuff growing on the surface. Rare, but by no means impossible.

Latest posts

Back