Does filtering replace conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaidpaint

Reaction score
I've been doing some research and thread archaeology, and, as expected, have found conflicting opinions on the matter.

I remember reading a thread a few months ago, which I've been unable to find again, that I'm pretty sure quoted John Palmer. The gist was that 'conditioning' is largely a myth, and that all that's happening is the yeast and large proteins are simply settling out of the beer. This would seem to agree with the idea that filtered beer can be drunk almost immediately, as anything that's large enough to settle in the beer is large enough to be retained by a filter.

My problem with this, then, is what happens if my bottle conditioned beer gets agitated? Does it resuspend the proteins, 'deconditioning' the beer?

The other school of thought is that the yeast is still active in the conditioning beer, consuming its own byproducts, and mellowing and combining flavours.

I've only ever bottle conditioned my beer, not having the means or space for a kegging setup. I've definitely noticed that they do improve with age, and also that agitation does not seem to 'decondition' them.

So does anyone have any science to clarify? Is it a physical process of stuff settling by gravity, or a biological process of yeast metabolising?

IMO conditioning is three things; clearing, carbonating and melding of flavors. Filtering only does the first one. I use finings on many brews.

I don't believe the yeast is active more than a few days after FG. Professionals seem to believe that to. Many filter in less than a week. And yes, there is something to that effect posted by Palmer on the AHA site.

It seems that once things have cleared and fell to the bottom that if they get re-suspended it doesn't take near as long to clear again. I think the partials get clumped together and fall much faster.

The confusion seems to come from the fact that while filtering does not replace conditioning, perfect fermentation specifics (temp, pH, pitch rate) do replace conditioning. No flaws to condition means no conditioning needed. Even high ABV beers produced commercially need far less conditioning compared to the stuff we do at home.

Simply put, if you can make millions in profits by having the beer finish perfect in around a week, you figure out what it takes to make that happen.

Back