Does dry yeast taste different than liqiud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostface

Reaction score
I just back into brewing after a 10 year break and I remember my first batch. I pitched a dry yeast packet into the cooled wort and got great fermentation but the brew had a slight after taste that I never noticed using liquid yeasts. I must admit that I did not hydrate the dry yeast packet, I just pitched into the wort from the packet. I wonder if this gave the brew an off taste? I remember that first brew having a slight "chalky" or "powdery" after taste. The reason why I ask is I have two packets of dry yeast from John Bull kits. I'm thinking about using it but I really don't want that "chalky" taste in my brew. Deos anyone know what I'm talking about?

They have made some amazing advances in dry yeast. When it comes to just about any ale I only use dry yeast. I used to use all liquid yeast and make a starter and all that jazzz...no more..Notty, or So-5, or So-4..can't go wrong. I just pitch right in with amazing results. I love So-5 by fermentes personally for most clean ale's. no more starters and much cheaper. However if you want a hefe or belgian u will probably want liquid or certain strains. I make most ale's or stouts ect..and nice clean ale yeast works fine.

changed my brewing..with no change in flavor. S-05 is cali liquid yeast.
for bigger beers just pitch to packets..
hope this helps.

Jay

Which kit do you have? The only thing dry yeast really has going against it is variety of yeast available but even so, there is probably a better yeast available for your kit than what is supplied.

I've got the John Bull master class Porter kit. It comes with a yeast packet but it's not marked like Jay says his is. I might try it just for the heck of it, I can'r imagine that it would be too bad, besides it's coming from John Bull....

ETA...it's marked "Beer Yeast 245"

I've got the John Bull master class Porter kit. It comes with a yeast packet but it's not marked like Jay says his is. I might try it just for the heck of it, I can'r imagine that it would be too bad, besides it's coming from John Bull....

ETA...it's marked "Beer Yeast 245"

Yeast has the biggest affect on a beer..so I would just spend the 2$ and get a new packet that u know is not old and has good results.

jay

The problem with beer kits is the age of the yeast. There is no telling how old that yeast is, how viable it is, or what its fermentation characteristics are going to be. Much better to spend a little ($2.00 or so) for a pack of Safale S-05 (American beers), S-04 (English beers) or Nottingham (just about anything). Your beer will be much, much better for it.

Chad

Back