does anyone want to go in on White Labs Funky Cider Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, has anyone received their Funky yeast yet? I received an email on November 2nd stating it will arrive within the next few weeks and we're working on 3.5 weeks here.

Just curious if anyone else on here has received their packets yet.

Yeah. I gotta get juice before Dec 25. Guess I’ll fire up the freezer.

I was giving 10 pounds of granny smith apples. I cut them up & put them into the freezer until I get the yeast strain from White Labs. In the meantime I will be making some homebrews ;)

My son got his yesterday mine should be here today.

He said he got two tubes. Did they screw up or is 1 order = 2 tubes?

Made a starter with the yeast blend today. Vial smells super funky, lots of brett funk. Will put some in my other sour projects.

Last edited:
Thanks kraizter! Just bought your funky eBay auction cider yeast! I missed out on the vault and they didn’t respond to my request emails ...

Last edited:
Thanks kraister! Just bought your funky eBay auction cider yeast! I missed out on the vault and they didn’t respond to my request emails ...
I will be mailing it out tomorrow morning and I'll throw in an extra ice pack for the trip over.

Cheers!! [emoji482] [emoji482]

Nice yeast. Kegged after 15 days. Brett is very noticeable without being over-powering.

20190212_202141.jpg

How long are people planning to age this before serving?

My plan was to let it go for a month, but I grabbed a sample at 15 days and decided that it already had the Brett profile I was looking to get. Too much more and it would have been beyond my level of Brett-tolerance, so I want ahead and kegged it and quickly got it chilled.

My plan was to let it go for a month, but I grabbed a sample at 15 days and decided that it already had the Brett profile I was looking to get. Too much more and it would have been beyond my level of Brett-tolerance, so I want ahead and kegged it and quickly got it chilled.
Brett-tolerance?!?
We can't be friends any more.

Brett-tolerance?!?
We can't be friends any more.

Yeah, I realize there is no such thing as too much Brett for some, but that's not me. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Brett, but it should be subtle, not overpowering. If it tastes like it was dry hopped with road apples, it's gone too far. :tank:

Yeah, I realize there is no such thing as too much Brett for some, but that's not me. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Brett, but it should be subtle, not overpowering. If it tastes like it was dry hopped with road apples, it's gone too far. :tank:

The journey has just begun.

I’m finally starting mine this weekend. The bucket of juice came outta the deep freeze but still has a big block floating around. My plan it to toss in five pounds of peach slices after fermentation slows down. From there I’ll keep sampling and when I like it I’ll rack it and let it sit in glass for months.

When I do a starter I used the screw on cap. Tighten it, shake, loosen it. Repeat every 6-8 hours.

Haven’t tried mine yet. Hopefully soon I will use one of the two I bought.

Those that used this have you direct pitched or made a starter?

What was your final gravity? Mine was less "funky" than I expected.

My OG was 1.030. My FG was 1.000. The fermentation took 2 months because I added more sugar to up the ABV. I took out 1 gallon & & created another 2.5 gallons with more cider, but I added Cascade hops. I let that ferment for a month & it turned out great. All in all I was very happy w/ the Funky Cider yeast. Now I can't wait to receive the Scottish Cider Yeast that I ordered from the Vault. From my experience, White Labs always makes me a Happy Man.

I think the funk will develop over months of aging. At least I hope it will. So far all the vault yeasts I’ve tried have been good but not worth the wait or cost over Ale yeast.

I'm a bit schizo about this. I do almost all beer but I don't like many Brett beers. I cannot explain why, but the idea of Brett seemed to make more sense to me. That said, I went in afraid of getting too much funk, and so far I have very little at all. I like it, but it is not what I expected. Then again, I am completely willing to wait for a long time for the flavor to develop.

I almost certainly won't do this again, but that is mostly because I don't really do cider. When I do, I think I want to experiment more with natural fermentation. The idea that something could be so overwhelmingly simple as step 1, set the thermostat, step 2, wait, could be so good intrigues more than Brett does.

Back