Does anyone have any experience with using chocolate rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madkap_78

Reaction score
I want to make a chocolate rye stout this weekend and I have never used it before. I was wondering how much is the most I should use in a recipe? What can of flavor does it impart? This is the recipe I have come up with, what do you think? Also what style of stout would this be classified as?

11lb10oz 2 row
2lb4oz chocolate rye
12oz roasted barley
12oz crystal 80

1oz cascade 60 mins
1oz Willamette 60 mins FWH
.25oz Willamette 30 mins
.75oz Willamette 0 mins

white labs 005

mash at 156 for 60 mins

I want to make a chocolate rye stout this weekend and I have never used it before. I was wondering how much is the most I should use in a recipe? What can of flavor does it impart? This is the recipe I have come up with, what do you think? Also what style of stout would this be classified as?

11lb10oz 2 row
2lb4oz chocolate rye
12oz roasted barley
12oz crystal 80

1oz cascade 60 mins
1oz Willamette 60 mins FWH
.25oz Willamette 30 mins
.75oz Willamette 0 mins

white labs 005

mash at 156 for 60 mins

As written the chocolate rye is just short of 15%. IMO that's too much. Combined with the roasted barley you are just under 20% dark roasted grain. A total of 10% is enough and 15% is plenty. Using 1.5 lbs of chocolate rye and .5 lb of roasted barley will give you 12% dark roasted grain more than enough for color and flavor. Take the subtracted pound of dark grain and add it to your base malt total.

Chocolate rye can be used 1:1 in place of regular chocolate malt. It's nice stuff and will give you a hint of the grainy/spicy notes rye is known for. I'd also drop the mash temp a few degrees.

What style of stout would this be classified as? Is it an American stout? Is wlp 005 a good yeast for this or should I use a drier yeast?

I really like chocolate rye. I use it in stouts and in black IPAs. I agree that the amount you have listed is too much though.

As for the yeast, its all up to you. I like english yeasts with stouts but american will be fine too. I don't know how to characterize the specific beer you have listed here. The yeast choice will dictate...imo...what style you would pen this as.

Back