Does anyone have a simple barley wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if someone has a simple yet really good barley wine recipe? I have pale ale malts and light crystal malts. Obviously I dont mind getting more malts that might be required as long as they are not fancy (hard to get). I could also use some orange honey (maple syrup would be rather difficult to get here). Dunno if that helps. I'd ferment it with US-05 at high temp (around 70 F).

I'd like it to be low on the alcohol side (like 8% top) and pleasantly sweet.

I did this English barley wine last year, came out really good. won me a blue ribbon at state fair, too:

5 gallons:
22# Maris Otter
0.5# British Crystal (55°L)
0.25# Pale Chocolate

60 minute EKG addition to hit 40 - 50 IBU
Fermented with a WY1084 slurry from an Irish Red I had just finished
Left it in primary for 3 weeks or so, then racked to secondary to bulk age for a month or so, and bottle conditioned.

OG was 1.107, FG was somewhere in the low to mid 30s (don't have my notes handy).

I did a 90 minute boil, but you can go longer if you want. Adjust the MO to get the gravity where you want it, and have some DME or table sugar handy in case you need a gravity bump (I would check it when you start your boil)--if you haven't done a really big beer like this, your efficiency will likely be a bit lower than normal.

The one above looks good. Some sugar helps. Don't add much crystal. A 20-30m addition of interesting hops is good (Bramling Cross, for example, or Saaz).

Back