Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill drink the boston lager if there is no other craft choices. I have been unimpressed with the seasonals however I have not tried all of them yet.

Beging on the west coast could be part of the problem with their beers seeming weak compared to what we get that is super fresh.

I just bought a twelve pack of six different varietys to see if I wanted to try and brew anything similiar next. They all tasted too heavy to me. I liked the IPA the best, but none very much.

A fresh Boston Lager is actually very good. Problem is, I haven't had a fresh one in years. Most of the time they aren't fresh, and they aren't good when old..

I don't like their other beers though, but Octoberfest is actually good. Most of their beers just seem average at best, and many are just bad.

I won't flame SA, but I just can't drink most of it. That "TASTE" (The one that those of us with off pallets can't stand) just turns me off. The one brew I do like is the Baltic IPA. With that being said I'd rather drink New Holland's Black Hatter.

Something about the taste of Boston lager I dont care for. But I do like a lot of there other beers. I also like that they still use reusable bottles instead of twist offs. The thing I like most about sam adams is the 100 shares of stock I bought in July.

I won't flame SA, but I just can't drink most of it. That "TASTE" (The one that those of us with off pallets can't stand) just turns me off. The one brew I do like is the Baltic IPA. With that being said I'd rather drink New Holland's Black Hatter.

Lol, can those of you with a palate please describe the taste that you can't stand? I'm going to need a bit more description if I'm to agree with you.

I described it, but I will elaborate. I get a cloying heaviness or umami like sensation from a lot of their beers. It is the issue I have had when I went too heavy on specialty and crystal malts. I also got it from a 100% Vienna malt lager I did.
It makes it hard for me to enjoy the beer or drink more than one. And before I am labeled a light beer drinker, I polished off two liters of Rauchbier in Bamberg last weekend and wanted more, and I can enjoy several porters, munich dunkels and other darker beers in a sitting.

Sorry I am not the best at describing the flavor, but my wife is a super taster, maybe I will get her to try one.

Lol, can those of you with a palate please describe the taste that you can't stand? I'm going to need a bit more description if I'm to agree with you.

For me it's like an over-carmalization. It has the same effect in my mouth that sitting down to an entire bag of candy would have. The saliva in my mouth acquires that same thick sticky consistancy when I drink SA.

Well, this isn't as bad as a group of people I talked to this summer at an outdoor party that said they thought New Glarus didn't make good beer. All credibility OUT THE WINDOW.

I generally don't like Sams Adams, but I do have to say that their Oktoberfest is pretty good. One of the best commecial marzens out there

I find their beers hit or miss, most of them i generally don't like that much. but there are a few types that are not that bad.. most of their IPA's I tend to enjoy. (Latitude 48 IPA, Whitewater IPA, Double Agent ).

However i cannot stand the Noble Pils. To me it tastes like a hoppy bud light.

Well, this isn't as bad as a group of people I talked to this summer at an outdoor party that said they thought New Glarus didn't make good beer. All credibility OUT THE WINDOW.
I think I know those people...they drink Bud Lite, don't they?

I think I know those people...they drink Bud Lite, don't they?

They like the local brewery the best called Backpocket. This was at a Backpocket mug club members party. While they make okay beer, it is NOTHING compared to New Glarus. In fact, almost nobody touches the quality and variety that New Glarus brews, in my opinion.

BlackGoat said:
Been hearing some of the same kind of comments about Sierra Nevada the last few years. Is this just one of those things like when a band gets famous and everyone calls them sell outs and suddenly thinks their music sucks? SNPA and Sam Ads were some of the first beers that I ever tried when I was younger and held up the glass and said "wow this is actually good" even if I couldn't describe why I liked it yet.
people who hate on SN must not drink their beer much. I've never had a bad beer from them! Their beers are consistent, delicious, cheap, and plentiful. Not to mention they're good guys when it comes to the environment.

Remember the old saying, "Do one thing, do it well."? I feel like Sam Adams has thrown that mantra right out the window. Boston Lager isn't a bad beer per se, but how can you mantain a high standard of quality when you're brewing 758 different seasonals/specials/one-offs? They focus on quantity over quality and while their flagship brew isn't that bad, a lot of their other beers are. Some are laughably bad.

I think if SA trimmed their portfolio down to something like Sierra Nevada's they would be doing themselves a favor.

Not a fan. Thought the octoberfest is way off mark. Their lager is ok I guess I would order it before a BMC at a bar

Sam Adams isn't usually my first choice, but I don't mind them. Boston Lager is OK especially if I'm in a place that doesn't have anything better. I'm enjoying a lot of their Limited Release bombers that are coming out.

More than anything, I appreciate the work they've done to promote craft beer and support homebrewers. And Sam is a decent gateway beer for getting BMC drinkers into craft. So no, I don't think they suck.

I am a huge fan of their Octoberfest and the Boston Lager, other than that i dont drink a whole lot of their beers. But i have tried most of them

Seems like most of the dislike is coming from the west coast, which makes me think its a distribution issue. I've had a couple I didn't like (the 'lambic', etc), but most of their beer is pretty good. Its not all real adventurous, but its true to style, well made, and tasty.

Someone mentioned that Stone and Sierra Nevada were there favorite nationally distributed brands. I'd take SA over SN in most cases, and Stone isn't really nationally distributed.

people who hate on SN must not drink their beer much. I've never had a bad beer from them! Their beers are consistent, delicious, cheap, and plentiful. Not to mention they're good guys when it comes to the environment.
People have different tastes. I have the same feeling about SN as I have about New Belgium: their beer just doesn't taste right to me. With New Belgium it's the house yeast. With Sierra Nevada, I think I don't like one of the hops they use in the Pale Ale, but I'm not sure which one.

I think most are missing the question. The question isn't "do you like Sam Adams Beers", no, that would be namby pamby. The question, and I think it is a MUCH more interesting question, is "Does anyone think Sam Adams beer sucks?"

The easy answer is "yes". "Anyone" does think that Sam Adams beers sucks. The OP does. End of story; close the thread. But, of course, while being, technically, the most accurate answer, it is surely the least interesting. So, let's suppose that the OP meant something like "do MOST HBTers think Sam Adams beer sucks?"

First, what we're not talking about. Koch may be Adolf Hitler and he may be Mother Teresa, he may have founded single-handedly the whole craft beer movement and rescued beer from the AB ash heap. Shut up about it! The question is about "Sam Adams beer", not Boston Beer Company or its founder, its history, et cetera.

And don't tell me whether you think this Sam Adams offering or that sucks or does not suck, what we're talking about here is "Sam Adams beer". No room to pick and choose. It's Sam Adams. Does it SUCK or not?

It is also not relevant or interesting whether you like Sam Adams beer, collectively. The question here is "does it suck"?? We must all admit that there are beers that we don't like that we wouldn't say "suck".

Taken all together, it seems to me we have but two choices. Either Sam Adams beer sucks, or Sam Adams beer doesn't suck. More words than that are simply a waste of keysrtokes and bandwidth.

I amend my earlier answer.

No.

And don't tell me whether you think this Sam Adams offering or that sucks or does not suck, what we're talking about here is "Sam Adams beer". No room to pick and choose. It's Sam Adams. Does it SUCK or not?

Uh....what? There is no "Sam Adams Beer". Their main beer is their Boston Lager.

Also, they offer a large selection of beers all brewed by the same company. It's more than reasonable for someone to say I like beer A, but not beer B. If the OP had asked whether or not we liked SA Boston Lager, then it's a different story.

I don't know if Miley Cyrus thinks Sam Adams beer sucks or not so the jury will always be out until then

There are no bad beers. just beers you love, beers you can stand, and beers you don't like. if you buy a sam adams you don't like in a six pack, send me the other five!

well... i guess there are bad beers, but you know, after ten good beers, who wouldn't drink a bad one?

Uh....what? There is no "Sam Adams Beer". Their main beer is their Boston Lager.

Also, they offer a large selection of beers all brewed by the same company. It's more than reasonable for someone to say I like beer A, but not beer B. If the OP had asked whether or not we liked SA Boston Lager, then it's a different story.

Ah. the answer then surely must be that the question is simply invalid and we've wasted much time (can that be?).

Is it reasonable to say he likes beer A but not beer B? Of course! Reasonable in this context? Surely not! OP has asked about "Sam Adams Beer", a collective he has unfortunately delivered to us without a choice. Does it exist? Does it not exist? I'm afraid we'll have to leave that to the likes of Monsieur Descartes and his "ball of wax".

Let's not play loosely with this matter of great import, shall we?

I reiterate: No.

I think most are missing the question. The question isn't "do you like Sam Adams Beers", no, that would be namby pamby. The question, and I think it is a MUCH more interesting question, is "Does anyone think Sam Adams beer sucks?"

The easy answer is "yes". "Anyone" does think that Sam Adams beers sucks. The OP does. End of story; close the thread. But, of course, while being, technically, the most accurate answer, it is surely the least interesting. So, let's suppose that the OP meant something like "do MOST HBTers think Sam Adams beer sucks?"

First, what we're not talking about. Koch may be Adolf Hitler and he may be Mother Teresa, he may have founded single-handedly the whole craft beer movement and rescued beer from the AB ash heap. Shut up about it! The question is about "Sam Adams beer", not Boston Beer Company or its founder, its history, et cetera.

It is also not relevant or interesting whether you like Sam Adams beer, collectively. The question here is "does it suck"?? We must all admit that there are beers that we don't like that we wouldn't say "suck".

Taken all together, it seems to me we have but two choices. Either Sam Adams beer sucks, or Sam Adams beer doesn't suck. More words than that are simply a waste of keysrtokes and bandwidth.

I amend my earlier answer.

No.

Crickets :drunk:

And just to piss this guy off, I think some Sam Adams beers suck and some don't!

Sam converted me to good beer. I still enjoy their seasonal packs occasionally, some more than others. Their Octoberfest was once my favorite even..

One thing I've noticed lately & I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or if they are "dumbing down" their beer for the masses but it tastes sort if bland to me. Not bad, just kind if blah where I didn't feel that way as recent as a couple yrs ago. I'm not knocking them tho, they'll always be my original go to :)

Just reluctantly drank two Oktoberfests last night, from the bottle. And yes I live 40min from Boston so it is fresh. Just struggled to drink two, and I noticed on the label it says we use 5 different roasted malts for a full flavor!
Maybe they should try 3 base malts tops and stop there like the style demands. Just don't know who this beer is brewed for.

...and if a beer falls over and spills in the forest, does the foam make a fizzing sound?

The question of the thread is really kind of silly. I mean, there are people that think Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout sucks (which is batsh*t insane, to me), but it's a matter of personal preference. Of course there will be people who don't like it, crazy or not.

Sam Adams does not exist so good luck with if it is bad or good.

Oh you meant Samuel Adams beer. No it is good beer. :D

Just reluctantly drank two Oktoberfests last night, from the bottle. And yes I live 40min from Boston so it is fresh. Just struggled to drink two, and I noticed on the label it says we use 5 different roasted malts for a full flavor!
Maybe they should try 3 base malts tops and stop there like the style demands. Just don't know who this beer is brewed for.

Stop buying it all up if you don't like it! There's only so much to go around.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the Boston brewery only makes keg beer for the Boston area, if I'm not mistaken the bottled stuff comes from Cincinnati.

I don't like Boston lager but they do have some good beers. Their octoberfest this year is good and the Baltic IPA is tasty too.

I've been a fan of Boston Lager and their Winter Ale (with a shot of vanilla stoli in it). The Oktoberfest beer tasted good to me when I was 21-23, but now I know what the style is supposed to taste like and I don't appreciate their version. Like many other posters here, they do a few beers VERY well. But I find most of their selection to be sub-par. But other people like it, and I'll keep letting them buy it.

For me it's like an over-carmalization. It has the same effect in my mouth that sitting down to an entire bag of candy would have. The saliva in my mouth acquires that same thick sticky consistancy when I drink SA.
For all of SA beers? I get that some from Boston Lager, I thought we were discussing a general SA flavor that can be found across many or all of their beers...that could make them universally bad to some people.

For all of SA beers? I get that some from Boston Lager, I thought we were discussing a general SA flavor that can be found across many or all of their beers...that could make them universally bad to some people.

Typically, if I don't enjoy a company's flagship beer, I won't try their spin offs...Typically. I made an exception with SA and tried some of their other styles because, as I stated earlier, when I was younger I did genuinely enjoy the taste of a cold Boston Lager. I have yet to find one that doesn't cloy my mouth. I've even been able to try some of their growlers they've been releasing lately, and there is something in their beers that just doesn't agree with my palette.

Nothing against the company. I hope they come out with something I enjoy again one day because I am a big fan and SA was a beer lifeline for me after I returned from my first tour in Germany with nothing to look forward to except BMC, but right now they are doing something to their beers I don't like.

Sam Adams has gone the way of Magic Hat for me...

I used to live in Vermont, so I drank a lot of Magic Hat, then I got bored of it. It started with their flagship beer (#9) then moved to everything they put out.

Same thing happened with SA - I liked their beer, then got bored of Boston Lager, then got bored of everything they put out; although I do drink angry orchard when I go out so I haven't dropped SA entirely.

I couldn't tell you what it is about either company that turned me off, maybe there is something in the water or a particular strain of yeast that is common in all of each respected companies beers; no clue.

In all honesty though, neither company will miss me because I really don't buy that much beer, so they weren't making much off of me anyways.

Back