does active fermetation raise beer/wort temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
i have a belgian that is in the active stage of fermentation. its started a 70f. but now 3 days later, it says 77f on the temp strip, but my empty glass carboy and another plastice fermenter that has beer ready to bottle both say 72f. all three container on the same shelf.

so does the current stage of fermentation for my belgian cause the wort temp to rise? or is there something else causing the temp to rise?

Yes :rockin:

If you are worried about the temp affecting the fermentation wrap a wet towel around the carboy to keep it cooler.

Yes, active fermentation can raise the temperature of the wort anywhere from 1-10 degrees, depending on various factors. I think it's safe to say that your average active fermentation will raise the temperature around 3-5 degrees.

well, they say 1214 is a banana bomb over 70f, so i welcome the increased temp. just wanted to make sure this was normal.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

It really depends on a lot of factors. Yeast type and ambient temp is two main ones. If you ferment lager @ 46F ambient you might see temperature strip showing 1-2F higher at the most active stage of fermentation. If you fermenting ale @ 72F it can easily be 8-10F higher inside of FV. Swamp coolers help to equalize temperatures a lot since water has a lot more thermal mass.

Back