Does acidifying sparge water help with yield?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
My water is 9.0 pH and alkalinity is high (live in Dallas). I batch sparge and am thinking about tweaking my process to see if I can increase my yield and get a better wort

A couple of ideas:

1 Add the same salts that are added to the mash to acidify the sparge water?
2 Or, add some amount of lactic acid to the sparge water

Palmer says this is overkill unless water is very alkaline and it is in dallas. I have had no astringency in my beers. Rather, I want to tweak my process and this seems like it may increase my yield and allow me to obtain a better wort.

Thoughts?

Adding salts to the water IS NOT effective in sparge water. We acidify sparge water to reduce alkalinity which is the prime problem in tannin extraction. Adding salts does not decrease the alkalinity of the sparge water.

You should download Bru'n Water to learn more about how to deal with and adjust your brewing water and sparge water. I don't think that acidifying sparge water will really improve efficiency. Its mostly a beer quality improvement.

Latest posts

Back