does a way too strong boil reduces the head retention of the final beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just watched a video...that says an extremely vigorous boil reduces the head retention of the final beer. Is it true? Why is that? They were talking about protein something....

A good strong boil is definitely not something to skip.

"Rapid boiling drives out oxygen, which can become very harmful in the process: it can change the color to darker than desired, and it can help serious infections to develop in the beer. Even more important, however, is the break down of proteins. This can be achieved only if boiling is vigorous: it helps create surface tension of the so called “albumin fraction” of the protein. These particles then will concentrate on the wort-air-steam bubbles and because of the high concentration, they will aggregate into larger and larger masses. More scientifically, the micellae, denatured in the boiling process, are held in suspension only by their electric charges. When in turn, the force of affinity between the micellae exceeds the force of electrostatic repulsion, as a result of high concentration on the surface of the bubbles, the albumin will aggregate and precipitate. This process cannot be achieved without a rolling boil."

Source: http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/news/boilhops.htm

I find it hard to believe that a hard boil can help cause an infection. Never had it happen. It can darken the beer if LME is used moreso than grains or DME in my experiences. I've past out & boiled 1 hour 45 minutes before. the beer was still golden lager colored,only darkened very slightly compared to the 1st version of the beer in question.

I've heard that as long as the wort is turning itself over, you've got a strong enough boil. There was a Brewing TV (RIP) video a while back of Jon Palmer brewing a batch of beer, and the shots of the boil didn't look to be what I would call "very vigorous". It was strong enough that the wort was turning over in the kettle, but it wasn't so strong that there was any danger of it leaping out of the kettle.

I have also heard about the poor head retention/formation from an overly strong boil, but I have no idea how hard you'd actually have to boil to end up hurting the final product. I find that if, like I said above, the wort is turning itself over well and you're getting a good hot break, you end up with a beer that produces foam just fine. I've also found that skimming break material off the top as its coming to a boil hurts foam in the final beer. I used to skim and always had wimpy foam. I stopped skimming and let the hot break stay in the worth during the boil and now my beer foam is just fine every time.

Rapid boiling drives out oxygen, which can become very harmful in the process: it can change the color to darker than desired, and it can help serious infections to develop in the beer.
I think you’re parsing that sentence incorrectly. I would edit it to this: ‘Rapid boiling drives out oxygen, which can become very harmful in the process. Oxygen can change the color to darker than desired, and it can help serious infections to develop in the beer. ‘

I find it unlikely that anyone would worry about an infection in boiling wort, but there you have it.

IMO the biggest difference that you will have with a really vigorous boil compared to a lightly rolling boil is the volume of wort that will be lost through steam. And possibly scorching of the wort, especially if using LME.

The wort will be approximately 212 degrees regardless.

I think that the recipe has the most effect on head retention. And IMO the difference in risk of infection in regards to the boil intensity would be minimal at best.

Back