Does 1 pound Spraymalt Extract = 1 pound sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanch75

Reaction score
Hi all,

About to make a batch of Munton's Bock Beer. I have a question about spraymalt extract for primary fermentation.

Volume-wise, 2.2 pounds of dextrose is the rule of thumb in these can kits when using only dextrose for extra fermentables. So, would I use the same amount (2.2 pounds) of spraymalt extract to get the same approximate impact/OG, but better flavor?

1 lb of dextrose (corn sugar) = 0.8 lbs of DME (gravity wise).

1lb of dextrose (corn sugar) = 1 lb of LME

DME will give you more flavor and body; overall a much better beer. Replacing 1 lb dextrose with 1 lb DME will not hurt; you will get more flavor and a little more alcohol.

According to my calculations 1 lbs dextrose is equivalent to 0.91 lbs spraymalt as far as the OG is concerned. I'd use 2 lbs of spraymalt to replace 2.2 lbs dextrose.
If you replace the dextrose with extract, you will increase the FG a bit, as the extract is not fully fermentable, while the dextrose is.

-a.

Back