Do you watch the pot boil, or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two kids, and they constantly want to be involved with what I'm doing, so I'm basically chasing them away from my burner. That, and drinking the last batch and peeing. Lately, I've been answering all my neighbors' questions about what I'm doing, and trying to convince them that it's not illegal, and the FBI isn't on the way

I must be anal. I usually continuous hop my bittering to 30 minutes. By then, I add my flavor hops and keep stiring to keep the hops from settling on the bottom. Once I add the flavor addition there is a lot of hops floating in there and I stir constantly.

WIth fermcap I have napped between hop additions. But mostly if I am home brewing on the stove, I surf the web. If I'm out brewing on a turkey fryer, then it's usually drinking beer.

WIth fermcap I have napped between hop additions. But mostly if I am home brewing on the stove, I surf the web. If I'm out brewing on a turkey fryer, then it's usually drinking beer.

That's just because Revvy is old :D just kidding buddy!

I'm always doing something - writing notes, planning new beers, getting cooling station set up, etc...

At the start of the boil, I'm usually 1/2 watching it, to ensure it doesn't boil over. I'm also washing the MLT and equipment, and getting the fermenter out and cleaned. (I sanitize during chilling). After that, I come on HBT and do nothing except add the hops at the right time.

I clean my MLT and get everything ready for post-boil. After that I bring my laptop to the kitchen and surf HBT. I also tend to have a beer or two during the process.

Usually just keeping a eye on it while I do something else. I like planning my brew days to where I am bottling something during the mash/boil. It makes for a long day with 2 10 gal batches plus bottling.

I stand by, listen to music and play with my dogs, stirring every 5-10 minutes while watching it closely. I'm pretty anal, but I've gotten use to it with cooking. I guess the rolling boil is stirring it, but I like to keep it going for some reason. I had 1 semi-boil over happen to me once (3rd batch when waiting for it to boil w/o fermcaps w/ lid on) and I've been pretty crazy about it since then. I do have fermcaps and they work great. I've used them (3-4 drops) on my first 3 batches, but I recently did not use any on my 4th batch; I ended up with this crazy blow-off which I did not get on any of my other batches: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/first-blow-off-w-pictures-just-fun-155388/

Lately, I've been answering all my neighbors' questions about what I'm doing, and trying to convince them that it's not illegal, and the FBI isn't on the way

geez, are they afraid of their own shadows too? why can't you be independent and make your own beer, wine, cheese, bread if you want to?

Back