Do you use second runnings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier after grinding a 15 lb grain bill for my next IPA by hand. I fully expect to end up with 1.07ish OG. That's a lot of malty goodness left behind in the mashtun. Perhaps enough for a small ale or something. I consider that wasted effort. Every beer that I put down doesn't need to be 100 IBU and 8%+ ABV. So do you ever use second runnings to make another beer? What are your guidelines? I'm thinking that as long as I can get at least 5 gallons out at 1.04ish it'll be worthwhile. I wouldn't even mind compensating with some DME to get the wort to a respectable OG.

even if you dont make a second beer from the runnings you could save it for starter material. i usually save some runnings into 2 liter bottles then freeze them till i need them.

With my no sparge RIS I made a really good stout. I added a few things to it. The keg went fast.
You can't really get much higher efficiency than normal. You can use what was lost to such a large grain bill with more water. Efficiency is a lot about grain to water ratios.

even if you dont make a second beer from the runnings you could save it for starter material. i usually save some runnings into 2 liter bottles then freeze them till i need them.

I've done this and I've also made a few second running beers. The first one was the second runnings of a IIPA and it didn't come out so well. I think I sparged to low and got excessive tannins. The last one I did was the second runnings off of my barleywine. It was a big grain bill with lots of Marris Otter, Munich, Special B, and Aromatic. I collected 7.5 gallons in the kettle, hopped with EKG, and added 2#'s of extra light DME to end up with 5.5 gals in the fermenter at 1.054. I pitched Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast and it finished at 1.013. It's a great tasting ESB, although the grain bill makes it kind of unique. It's a little maltier then most ESB's I've had, but I'm really digging it and will definitely make it each time I make this barleywine.

Well I went ahead and tried it. I started off with an IPA that came out to about 1.080. I had a very violent boilover and lost at least half a gallon so I went ahead and added some water to bulk it up. It ended up at 1.062 which I think will be better for the amount of hops I used. I don't even know what the second batch I brewed up would be classified as. OG was 1.044. I ended up with about 3.5 gallons of wort. For hops I used an ounce of magnum @ 60 minutes and half an ounce of willalmette at 15. I guess it would just be considered a classic pale. I used Nottingham's yeast for both.

I recently pitched Notty into a 1.045 3.5 gallon batch of second runnings from a Belgian dark strong ale and hopped it with EKG. It attenuated all the way down to 1.004 so it's a bit dry but it's fine beer. I'm going to try a really low gravity "biere de table" from second runnings soon.

My buddies and I did this Saturday.
1st runnings for a barley wine
Second runnings for a bitter.
Partygyle051510.jpg

Well I went ahead and tried it. I started off with an IPA that came out to about 1.080. I had a very violent boilover and lost at least half a gallon so I went ahead and added some water to bulk it up. It ended up at 1.062 which I think will be better for the amount of hops I used. I don't even know what the second batch I brewed up would be classified as. OG was 1.044. I ended up with about 3.5 gallons of wort. For hops I used an ounce of magnum @ 60 minutes and half an ounce of willalmette at 15. I guess it would just be considered a classic pale. I used Nottingham's yeast for both.

You could call it a Special Bitter. The main difference between Bitters and Pales is the latter have aroma hops. Bitters might be a bit darker, but not always.

Latest posts

Back