Do you try to correct your SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

Reaction score
On occasion I've had brews where I've topped a 5 gallon batch up to 5 gallons right after chilling and the SG is higher than the listed SG range. Normally I wouldn't do anything about it but last brew I somehow managed to get 1.050 for my SG when the target range was 1.042-1.046. I decided to add more water to bring it down into the target range. Is that what I should have been doing all along or do most people not worry about it? The brew that I corrected like that is tasting just slightly watery to me (but it might just be my imagination since no one else is noticing it).

So... What do you normally do?

Really there is no need to measure OG on a extract batch if you can be confident of your volume measurements and weight of extract. If you are measuring volume and weight correctly and have an OG other than predicted, you are seeing the common issue with topped off batches where, due to lack of mixing, the OG measurement is inaccurate.

I just did a Pliny the Elder AG clone kit from AHS and ended up with only 4 gallons and .010 SG higher than target. I added a half gallon of water and brought the SG down to only .004 higher. For a beer that expensive to make I'm gonna be sure to get every last bit out of it. ABV% is around 8% on that beer normally anyways so the extra % doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have the extra beer.

You don't need to take o.g. readings with extracts. The o.g. will always be the same every time. It can't *not* be.

Unless they pump sugar into your reservoir.

Your og was high because of one of the following reasons:

1. You didn't mix the wort well enough.
2. You didn't put didn't put in as much water as the recipe called for.
3. You put in more extract than the recipe called for
4. The recipe was written by idiots.
5. Your hydrometer needs calibration.
6. Your eyes need calibration.
7. They pump sugar into your reservoir.

Right now I'm doing about 3.5 gallons and topping it up to 5. I really need to invest in a real brew kettle instead of this stockpot I'm using (It's a 5 gallon pot and I need a bit of headroom with it)

P.S. I hate doing this but does anyone have any last minute thoughts on this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lemon-coriander-weiss-hops-substitution-425276/ I'm adding hops in probably another 20 min

Back