Do you need to mash a grain bill with mostly wheat longer to fully convert?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geer537

Reaction score
Hi all!

I brewed yesterday and my efficiency dropped from 75 % to 54 %. None of my processes changed; mashed at 153 for 60 minutes, fly sparged with 180 degree water, cooled to 68. I checked my hydrometer and it is calibrated. The grain bill was mostly wheat so should I have mashed longer? Recipe:

5 # wheat
1.5 # flaked wheat
4 # 2 row
1 # munich

Ended with 1.045 so I've got good beer and I am using pac man yeast at 62 degrees so I am expecting a low FG. I thought the 2 row would help convert the wheat but maybe I needed more? Anyone have any thoughts for the next time I try a wheat?

Crush maybe? Wheat is a different setting. Did you crush or have it done for you? Anything over a half hour usually converts the starches for you, the rest is a "make sure". with the modified grains these days.

We actually double crushed this one. I use a malt mill. Unfortunately I cant make the crush any finer because its not adjustable

That is a considerable drop in efficiency. That is not a big difference between the amount on wheat and 2-row/munich. Just curious why the addition of flaked wheat. The malted and flaked wheat along with your double crush may have gummed up your sparge. Rice hulls may have helped.

The # of wheat was malted and honestly just added the flaked wheat after reading a few recipes. I didn't add any rice hulls maybe I'll drop the flaked and increase the wheat for next time?

I have never had a problem with conversion even with a 100% malted wheat bill. Wheat malt can self-convert. I also suspect it is a problem with the flaked wheat.

No, you don't need to mash longer for wheat, wheat can convert itself actually. I do all my hefe recipes with a 60 minute mash and all my recipes since getting my grain mill (Barley Crusher) have been 79% efficiency outside of my Belgian Wit's - which are around 73-74% but after some reading I'm gathering that is because I didn't protein rest and the flaked wheat and oats benefit from that.

I did have a wheat that came out a ridiculously low efficiency - 56%, and that was the reason I bought a grain mill. Everything pointed to the crush since wheat and rye are smaller grains. So, the next hefe and every one thereafter match up my efficiency for my other non-wheat recipes at 79%. So, I'd still look at the crush even though you ran it through twice you noted you can't adjust the crush.

Rev.

A short protein rest can certainly help with efficiency with a lot of wheat malt. It's got plenty of diastatic power but the starch is locked up in a bit more protein than barley.

A short protein rest can certainly help with efficiency with a lot of wheat malt. It's got plenty of diastatic power but the starch is locked up in a bit more protein than barley.

Being flaked wheat and oats are unmalted that's definitely what I've been reading. For regular malted wheat, like Weyermann or Rahr, I haven't seen any need for a protein rest to increase efficiency.

He only lists 1.5lb of flaked wheat in his recipe though so I don't tend to think that was the cause.

Rev.

I'd be bummed if it were the crush since I cannot adjust it but its also not the first time I used this Malt Mill, just the first time my effeciency was this low. I can't point to anything specific and say that's what I have done differently. I am going to brew again this weekend on a recipe that I do pretty often. Then maybe I'll duplicate the recipe without the flaked wheat.

Keep some of the flaked. Maybe 8oz. Worth it for the head retention and it won't make the beer overly sweet.

Try tossing in a few cups of rice hulls with your grain bill. After seeing my efficiency skyrocket while batch sparging with rice hulls I purchased a ton of them and use them every batch. I'm at about 80% efficiency up from 60-65% over two years of brews.

And for the record, I mash my hefs for 90 minutes. Science doesn't support it, but I have always done it and never had a bad batch.

Back