Do you have a teen age daughter? Me too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
16 years old. Need I say more? Just started driving and has all the freedom any 1 kid could ask for. 3.9 GPA smart kid (gets it form me) cant drive for $hit (gets that from her MOM) gas bill just went up 33% insurance just went up 50% (ouch!) uhhhhhhhh GGGGggggguuuuuhhhhh!

I love her to death but she is gonna put me in my grave!

You have one? Do tell.......We used to go to bars to vent...... NOW WE HAVE HBT! Thanks Tx

Cheers
Jay

My daughter is 8, but my old housemate had a teenager. She was 16 - 19 while living here.

It was the hour long showers that bugged me as much as anything else. And then she'd blame everyone else for making her late.

I'm so glad that her drama is someone else's problem.

Mine is 19 and 14. The 19 year old still has not gotten her driver's license. The 14 year old said she can start her training this summer.

They are both good kids. Getting good grades in HS and college.

Neither of them have shown much interest in boys. The one is too busy with college to have a relationship and the other is certain that she isn't at all interested in the way teenage boys behave, same as her older sister. I told you they was smart!

I have a 3 year old that is packed with as much drama as a 16 year old. She is a little firecracker. She keeps her 6 year old brother in check. When the teenage years come I think I will be brewing a lot more as I will be drinking a lot more.

Raised 2 girls, 21 and 19 now. All I can say is that the years between 12 and 17 were frightening for a variety of reasons. Starting around 12, they tend to believe that they know everything and aren't afraid to let you know that. So, lots of arguments especially with mom. Older one didn't have much interest in school for anything beyond the social aspects, while the younger one cared greatly about her grades. Both had their share of mean girl and boyfriend issues.

Around age 18, mom and I suddenly got smart again in their eyes and things are now good (they were never really bad just challenging).

Thank god this isn't a pic thread.

I have 2 daughters ... the oldest is 9. I think she hit the teenage years early. Good grief!

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

I had a friend with a daughter who got 'busy' often and he had to continually explain to her that she wasn't ready for motherhood.
He once told me, "with a boy, you only have to worry about 1 d*ck, with a girl, you have to worry about ALL of them"!

Never forgot that one.

When the wife and I were sprouting kids I lived in fear of dealing with a girl, being totally unqualified to deal with pretty much anything to do with them, and knowing damned well what challenges boys put on them. Aaaaand the wife has six sisters, while my parents had one of each, so I figured I was genetically doomed and would spend the next two decades plotting fool-proof ways to take out any male that even looked at my daughter(s).

Fortunately, the universe caught a break and we had boys :ban:
Those I get. And if one needed a Come To Jesus meeting, I could handle that.

Mini-chicks? No way - I can barely relate to the wife...

Cheers! ;)

I've one that's 23 just out of college, the other 19 just started college.

I just started homebrewing.

Coincidence? I think not.

Just got back from a birthday party. My 8 y.o. daughter and her three BFFs at a swimming pool. I'm dreading the day they all hit junior high. That's all kinds of mischief just waiting to happen.

My only daughter out of 6 children is in her late 20's...if I remember right. We had the same number of children as my parents,same age spread & same ratio of boys to girls...& in the same order. Sharon & I also gave the first grand child on both sides. Boy,was her sis miffed. Although I was taken aback when she saw AJ in his crib in the hospital & said he was hung like a horse. Then she gives me that look...I then knew her & Sharon had been tellin' stories on the playground.
Anyway,my daughter was sure to be the death of me in her teen years. She wrecked my '93 Probe SE tuner...after I just got it painted a Guardsman blue with Pearl flake in the paint. I was friggin hacked...till I found she was in the hospital & they needed my sig to proceed with treatment. I was shaking so bad I couldn't sign the bloody thing. I guess my heart gave me away that time. But she always was a smart lil one. She was some 18 months or so when Ford had transferred me to Cinci. We were in Sears heading for the pic thing for her. We walked through the little girls department & she sees a dress she likes,& in her size! She scarffed it & held on for dear life,looking at me with "the look". Damn they learn quick...You guys simply do not know what you're in for!:drunk: Wish my son was home from work...I think I need another beer....But I will say this. I must admit,that in my advancing years,I miss my babies. It tears at my heart strings when you guys or something on youtube reminds me of my dear little ones. so cute,innocent & full of hope. and remember this one inportant fact...that daddy is God in the eys of a little girl! Let alone those little boys you'll be teaching to build tuners,brew beer,etc. Cherish them while you may. They grow up so fast,then gravitate toward mom. You are then crap & will loose every argument. Trust me,I know.

Crap my step daughter just turned 12 and curiosity of this thread got the best of me. At least I know I am not alone. :mug:

I have to say the two things about my 8y.o. that keep me up at night are:
1. This year she had to buy a special valentine for a boy in her class.
2. I started drinking when I was 12. How do I keep her from drinking at 12?

Probably, give her an IPA... She'll look at you like you're crazy for drinking that bitter stuff, and hopefully swear off booze for several more years ;-)

I'd think an epic sour would be the pinnacle of aversion therapy. Especially for virgin taste buds...

Cheers! (hell - I wouldn't even drink one of those! ;) )

I have to say the two things about my 8y.o. that keep me up at night are:
1. This year she had to buy a special valentine for a boy in her class.
2. I started drinking when I was 12. How do I keep her from drinking at 12?

I have college-aged boys, but I was amazed at the thorough brainwashing that they got at school concerning drugs, smoking and alcohol. I honestly think it kept them from starting early.

I started drinking at about 14, but my kids were about 17 before they got into it. Even then it was fairly mild. Nothing like I did when I was that age.

One thing about teenaged boys. They're not too bright. I caught them almost every time they imbibed.

I have a 19-yr old daughter. She is completely independent. College, car, FT job, we have zero involvement. She's amazing really.

This is EXACTLY how my 16 year old will be in 3 years I am sure. She is very independent right now as it is. She is really an amazing little girl! One of the most thoughtful and compassionate 16 year old girls out there. I really am very proud of her! She is playing Softball, captain of the Cheer squad and a 3.9 gpa student. AND she takes time out of her schedule to take some of the "not so fortunate" "slower" kids out to lunch and just make them feel like they matter when so many just pass them over! She really is a Diamond! I cant complain too much. Now if I can just get her to clean her F^( k!#G ROOM! LOL Like that is ever gonna happen.....

Cheers
Jay

Probably, give her an IPA... She'll look at you like you're crazy for drinking that bitter stuff, and hopefully swear off booze for several more years ;-)

I left my glass of Palette Wrecker sitting on the table as I checked the grill the other day, and my 3 year old daughter stole a sip. When I walked in all I heard was "ummmm it's good".

I'd think an epic sour would be the pinnacle of aversion therapy. Especially for virgin taste buds...

Cheers! (hell - I wouldn't even drink one of those! ;) )

Yeah, maybe I should set aside a Cuvée René. Something off the deep end with ropy flavor would be best.

I remember when I was a little kid & pop would be splittin wood on the stump. He'd set his beer down (Black Label or Stroh's,50's) & I'd chug it down.

I have 3 teenage daughters: 17, 15, & 13.

All are good kids, but suffer from the pre-teen lobotomy at 12, when they think my wife and I are clueless and a hindrance to their social life.

The oldest is coming around now, while the youngest is just hitting her stride.

The middle one is a freshman in high school and is very grade conscious.

Loads of fun watching them grow up, but they can be a huge pain in the butt, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Heard a tip on the radio the other day about this. There is an app you can get to turn their cellphone off. Apparently kids are addicted to their phones now. Seems to get the intended results.

Now if I can just get her to clean her F^( k!#G ROOM! LOL Like that is ever gonna happen.....

Cheers
Jay

Did you mean phones? (pones) northcal? LOL

Mine is almost 17, and doesn't drive yet. She is academically gifted and lazy as it gets. Her grades are up and down, and like so many others, her room is a disaster zone. She is a good kid, no cigarettes or sex, or drinking, or drugging. In spite of the fact she knows teen aged boys are morons that think with the wrong head, she is still interested in them. Before she goes anywhere with any boy, we have to meet him and his parents before any socializing can occur. She likes to taste the beers I make, and she now sounds like me when she describes one; nice malty aroma, a little sweet up front with a dry finish, etc. etc. She only gets a tablespoon if even that much when she tastes one, and she doesn't get to taste everything I make.

My daughter should be born in the next couple weeks, and I'm already dreading these years.

Have a 20 year old that is finally, maybe getting her head screwed on straight. My 17 year old is another story all together. She has always been the smarter one caring about grades and not much else. She has a boy that she has been dating for about 7 months now. He seems like a good kid and they are never left by themselves. He lives about an hour away and Sunday is their day to hang out. In November she informed us that she was hearing voices and wanted to kill us and herself. We checked her into a facility. She came out and wasn't right. No voices but seemed like a zombie. A few months go by, shrink changes meds around cause the voices started coming back. Therapist says it's a grab for attention. Check her into another facility. Comes out much better and with less meds. Now it is starting again. Tears at the heart strings. We are very thankful that she is strong enough to ask for help and comfortable enough to come to us. We are doing everything that we think we should be doing. Supporting but trying to stay firm. Shrink, therapist different meds. Nothing seems to really help long term. Of course the shrink is just wanting to push more meds. The therapist says it's just hormones and manipulation. I would not wish these 6 months on my worst enemy. Both kids have had broken bones growing up. Those are easy. Go to the hospital, get a cast and a few months later it's all but forgotten.

Our youngest son had a similar problem till he was 13 or so. He was the only survivor of twins though. Would've been the only twins on either side in God knows how many generations. He used to sit a play/talk with someone not there when he was little. We always figured it was the spirit of his twin he was playing with. He's 15 now & a little moody or quiet at times. But otherwise fine. He & an old class buddy are trying to get money for the movies they're writing nowadays. He wants to be another Steven Spielberg or something. Cool. I'm sure she'll grow out of it. There was one girl in Cleveland years ago that had trouble with Telekinesis. Showed things on the news live flying around her in the living room. So these things do happen,but are rare.

I'm a 27 year old girl and I read this entire thread with tears in my eyes. You all sound like amazing fathers and I sincerely hope my dad is as proud and happy with me as you are with your own kids.

I hope you understand that you'll always be our favorite man in the whole world, the one we look up to and the one we want to make proud. My father has been my biggest influence in life, he's the reason why I like music, mechanics, technology, brewing and even hot rods. Try to teach your kid all the stuff that makes you who you are, too. Girls are not just about pink and dolls.

You all rock for being dads. Lots of love.

Any of them need a date to prom? I'm available. Ha.

*girlfriend smacks the back of my head*

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Latest posts

Back