Do you have a teen age daughter? Me too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard a tip on the radio the other day about this. There is an app you can get to turn their cellphone off. Apparently kids are addicted to their phones now. Seems to get the intended results.

APP? All I do is call Verizon and in 3 min its off for exactly however long I want! I even have Verizon on speed dial! Its the BEST training tool a parent can ask for these days. Its like the instant attitude adjuster! Now if I could just find the HORMONE switch! LOL

Cheers
Jay

They grow up, get married, fly away and break your heart. I miss my kid lots. She got married her senior year in college, got a Fullbright scholarship and went to Germany with her Husband for a year. (When I went to see them that was one heck of a beer tour). Came back and moved to Ithaca for grad school. When your kids get older you remember the painful things as a lesson learned and the rest as a fond memory. ENJOY EVERY DAY, YOU DON'T GET TO DO IT AGAIN.

I have to say the two things about my 8y.o. that keep me up at night are:
1. This year she had to buy a special valentine for a boy in her class.
2. I started drinking when I was 12. How do I keep her from drinking at 12?

First, its good to let them try a bit of alcohol in my opinion, so they aren't always wondering what it is like.

Lots of communication about the issues it can cause. Lots of communication about the ramifications of drinking and being caught by the parental units.

By the time I was thirteen, my dad had let me try tiny sips of different drinks. He also made it clear how much trouble I'd be in if I was caught drinking. Also said if he wouldn't yell or deal with me until I sobered up... and if I was stupid, he would pick me up anywhere, anytime if needed... with no yelling involved. (the next morning might have been a problem, but luckily, I never had this issue)

My daughter is 10.. really mature and level headed about things. Really good kid. She knows we are strict but fair.

My oldest is a girl, not a single bit of trouble, ever. I don't even mind her three-way open marriage. It's interesting, and really none of my business.

Second was a crazy boy, and his high school girlfriend (now wife) had the special power that a parent just doesn't possess. She kept him alive and well through high school and beyond. My undying gratitude to her!

Third was a crazy girl. Very trying, but the independence and assertiveness that is hell on a parent has served her well as an adult.

I never sanctioned under aged drinking, was less strict about smoking...

Just trust that you've instilled the basics, and even if they go off course a bit, they'll come out all right in the end. Enjoy the ride, and good luck! ;)

I had to take her cell phone from her yesterday as punishment for being self Centered, bossy, pushy, argumentative and not listening to her father. You would have thought I cut her hands off! We will have an argument like this every once in a great while but all in all she really is the best 16 year old and one father could ask for.

Cheers
Jay

4 kids, Girl, Boy, Girl, Boy.

As someone said below, with the boys, we only had to worry about their one unit. With the girls we had worry about nearly every boy's unit.
My girls are 29 and 25. The oldest is a a former Marine as is her husband. The youngest has had mental difficulties all of her life and is often unable to tell reality from fiction but she has the greatest willpower of anyone I have met. If she sets her mind and her heart on something, there little to nothing that can stop her. She has definitely come a long way over a hard trail.
Their teen years drove me crazy, but, they never let me down and they are succeeding life, which is all I figure I can ask. Now I have grandchildren and I remind my children to think about what they were like when they were teens!

Back