Do you have a problem with authority?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can honestly say that I have authority issues. Being a physicist and very intelligent on an academic level, I often find that I work for people that aren't on the same plane as me and I get irritated and may occasionally get short with them if they try to task me with something insignificant. However I will usually apologize afterward because I always realize that they are in that position because they have skills that I will never have. Like people skills and the ability to communicate with lay people.

Obeying authority is very instinctive. The milgram experiment clearly shows this predilection of humanity to obey authorities. The resistance to authority arises when the authority stops us from enjoying something. Even then the authority is usually resisted passively rather than actively. Everyone will resist authority at some point and will misuse authority at some point. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Ahh yes. I remember those days.

My question is what was causing this Lance Corporal to do that? A personality disorder? An evil heart? Stupidity?

In his case it was mostly a combination of immaturity and the frustration of being in a remote post. It was just one of those rough patches we all go through. He never had a problem with me, he was just railing against fate and his inability to do anything about the situation he found himself in.

I never had a problem with him after that and we'd laugh about his joining the military to escape an authoritarian system.

So, you would like to see religion continue to be discussed in this topic? It's against the rules here.

Well this subject lends itself to debate. A Bible believing Christian will have a very different opinion on the subject than someone who isn't. I guess the notion of deciding to delete one man's thoughts and keeping others seems kind of Orwellian(thought police)to me. I'm not a huge fan of censorship I would rather have a thread moved than my thoughts blown up but I get it though religion can be very divisive and there are rules.

It stems from a demand for respect which wasn't earned. I'll make you burn me every time until you get it.

Well this subject lends itself to debate. A Bible believing Christian will have a very different opinion on the subject than someone who isn't. I guess the notion of deciding to delete one man's thoughts and keeping others seems kind of Orwellian(thought police)to me. I'm not a huge fan of censorship I would rather have a thread moved than my thoughts blown up but I get it though religion can be very divisive and there are rules.

One of the problems of having the thread moved would be that it would have to be moved to a subforum that is for paid subscribers only (the reasons for this could be discussed at length but essentially it's to prevent flame wars). So your desire to see it discussed within a religious context would, at the very least, result in others being excluded.

Yes, my name is ShootsNRoots and I have a problem with authority because my heart is evil. I rebel but the authorities keep me down.

Incidentally, this is at the core of atheism/unbelief. The unbeliever will not trust God unless God subordinates himself to the intellectual authority & moral evaluation of the unbeliever.

emjay said:
One of the problems of having the thread moved would be that it would have to be moved to a subforum that is for paid subscribers only (the reasons for this could be discussed at length but essentially it's to prevent flame wars). So your desire to see it discussed within a religious context would, at the very least, result in others being excluded.

I have no desire to see it discussed in a religious context. I just know that the Bible has much to say about authority so a person who is a devout Christian will (and should) have their opinin influenced by it. I understand your point and you're right it's just unfortunate that people cannot discuss certain topics without getting emotional and having it degenerate into a flame war.

BUCKNUTS said:
I have no desire to see it discussed in a religious context. I just know that the Bible has much to say about authority so a person who is a devout Christian will (and should) have their opinin influenced by it. I understand your point and you're right it's just unfortunate that people cannot discuss certain topics without getting emotional and having it degenerate into a flame war.

Plus I really really hate censorship

Back