Do you filter out your hot break from sterialized agar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewstress

Reaction score
Hello,

I prepared some agar today and got a lot of hot break from the sterialization process (15 psi for 30 min). I didnt filter out the hot break as I didnt have anything at the moment to do that with and hust poured my plates anyways. I didnt think that the extra animo acids would cause any hram and may be benifical in the long run. Though, they do make the plates look a little messy. I am curoius what others do with their hot break when preparing plates and slants.

Have a great new year!

I have the same issue. I get a lot of break material in my plates if I use wort I've extracted from grain myself. They look almost marbled with it, sometimes.

If I use DME, the plates look "normal" of course.

I wondered when I started plating if it mattered. Since I've been equally successful with both, I quit worrying about it.

I am glad I wasnt the only one. I use light DME and got a ton of proteins! I think next time I am going to drop in a stir bar and stir it up first before I pour plates. At least that way I dont have a big blob of hot breat in the middle.

THanks!

I used canned wort for mixing with agar and this way you don't have any hot break forming or also when you pressure cook your agar solution you get and extra bit of hot break forming due to the higher temps that you cook it at. Using the canned wort avoids this extra mess.

I don't think it hurts anything but I was reading BYO and they had an article about haze and there was something in there about proteins causing a higher rate of oxidation and so why chill haze and haziness in general is bad for beer, just a thought.

Clem

yup, the denatured proteins cause haziness in the starter wort due to the 250F temps. But I am only concerned with my plates. Even though the proteins are denatured, I was thinking that they still would provide aminoacids to aid in growth.

In the end, I just wanted to see if having bits of hot break in the plates caused any issues observed other than visual.

Back