Do you ever one of those times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
That you just want to beat the living **** out of Bill Gates? Out of the a$$holes that think it is good idea to bundle completely useless software with software that is useful? That you want to strangle your wife when you tell you to make sure that you un-check EVERY last MOTHER ******* box when she says she is going to install Shockwave? I do.

I am at the point now where I ******* hate, I mean HATE M$, Windows, Norton, PC's. I came real close to just tossing my PC out of the ******* house tonight, into traffic.

Here is the deal. Norton Security Scan, gets bundled with Shockwave. Sure you have the option of not installing it, if you un-check the ******* box. Well she didn't. Turns out the un-installer doesn't work. So while I thought I had uninstalled it 2 days ago, I was wrong. The ******* thing reinstalls it self on reboot. So I do some searching on the google, find out, there is no way anyone has aver really found to remove the thing.

So here starts the hour and half process of searches, deleting registry keys, deleting directories, removing dll's, and the such. I got rid of it, but 3 pints and AN HOUR AND A ******* HALF ******* later it is gone.

The crappy part is I do this for a living. This is my job, I am a 3rd tier IT Tech doing desktop support. I knew what I was doing. I pity the poor soul who doesnt even know what the registry is. How are they supposed to fix it. Give $300 to the a$$es at GeekSquad??? *******!!!!

Glad I got that off my chest. My wife and kid can have the PC back. I am happily typing away on my Mac Power Book. The Mac, thank you there are Apples. You want to get rid of app, drag it to the trash, you want to stop something from running, get rid of it, no big deal. I CAN NOT wait till the summer when the new iMac's and Snow Leopard come out. When that happens there will be an Office Space type PC destroying session in my back yard. You are all invited.

**** YOU PC. I AM A MAC!

plus the fact that 99.99999999% of all viruses are made for attacks on M$ why would you get anything other than a mac. Ha this from a guy with a PC but hey, I built and an its still alive and well. I just have to be 60,000 times more careful than my 6 your old niece on her moms (my sister...duh) mac.

Yeah the virus thing sucks. I just had to participate in an audit at work. The guy form the systems office was wondering why I had no virus protection in one of our Mac labs. My response, we don't need it. I have been using a Mac for 10 years, PC's a lot longer. I know I am not your average user, but I have 0 Mac viruses and even being careful I get about 25-10 viruses on my PC a year. I know that will change as more and more macs get on the market, but for now, it is safe.

The only reason I have the PC in the house is that back when I built the thing we really needed a new computer. It was cheaper for me to build a damn good PC than it was to buy a Mac. Now that the PC is pushing 4 years old, I can justify buying a new one this summer.

my point exactly. when this bi*ch breaks its mac or nothing. it may be a fisher price computer but its a damn safe fisher price computer.

plus the fact that 99.99999999% of all viruses are made for attacks on M$

Not true any more and back in the 80s almost all viruses were on Apples. When I worked on the Space Station project, we opened the cases & disconnected the floppy drives to prevent "sneaker-net" infections.

true, i was making a feeble attempt at a joke due to its ease of use.

I know you were, I was also making a feeble attempt at humor. Damn geeks, we just aren't as funny as we think we are.

Not true any more and back in the 80s almost all viruses were on Apples. When I worked on the Space Station project, we opened the cases & disconnected the floppy drives to prevent "sneaker-net" infections.

This is true, I remember Mac viruses as well. The ones that I came across most often were macro viruses. Funny how things have changed, all because Gates had a higher marketing budget.

One of my instructors and I had a similar rant this morning about the new version of powerpoint....We're standing at the lecture hall computer trying to figure out how to INSERT a black slide to the front of his presentation...We have the INSERT MENU BAR open, but there's no INSERT SLIDE on the INSERT BAR... I just asked the class if someone knew, when the instructor stumbled upon the HOME MENU, where the INSERT NEW SLIDE BUTTON is actually hidden..

And WTF did they have to move the Start Slideshow button from the left hand side of the bottom bar to the right??? It's been on the left since the first version??

Not too surprising from satan on earth dontjaknow....

im8ak1.jpg

Bill Gates IS satan...

even 40% of the market wont make linux as vulnerable as windows, its not just security through obscurity. linux is designed from the ground up in a more secure way, from the kernel to the way file permissions are handled and all the different software available to perform the same task, a virus writer cant count on the same level of software consistency as with windows.

Probably not, but it will always be his fault. As Revvy said, he is Satan. I will have to say that I am highly inclined to believe Revvy in these matters, after all just look at his avatar, he has to be some sort of expert on the matter.

even 40% of the market wont make linux as vulnerable as windows, its not just security through obscurity. linux is designed from the ground up in a more secure way, from the kernel to the way file permissions are handled and all the different software available to perform the same task, a virus writer cant count on the same level of software consistency as with windows.

Yeah, I hear this a lot. Actually Linux has vulnerabilities like every other filesystem. You can wreak havoc without needing root access. You can write a worm based on GNOME/KDE .desktop files to mail itself out to your address book, and install a keylogger into the session startup to get the root password. And that's only one way.

Yes, Linux is more secure than Windows. But it's not totally hack-proof.

Yeah, I hear this a lot. Actually Linux has vulnerabilities like every other filesystem. You can wreak havoc without needing root access. You can write a worm based on GNOME/KDE .desktop files to mail itself out to your address book, and install a keylogger into the session startup to get the root password. And that's only one way.

Yes, Linux is more secure than Windows. But it's not totally hack-proof.

Yes Linux and the new Macs (based on a unix like core OS) are much more secure than current windows, and combined with much lower market penetration they have fewer viruses and an even lower likely hood of getting attacked. And even windows security has improved considerably with Win NT based OSes (2000, XP, Vista).

I feel for your struggles. I'm not IT but fairly computer literate. I get the occasional call for help from family and always dread it.

Craig

Latest posts

Back