Do you cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal615

Reaction score
I have a Amber Ale going and i have seen some people talking about cold crashing. I live in Chicago so the weather would help with letting me try to cold crash it. Are the benefits noticeable? Or should i just primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle?

If its clear in a few weeks then you wont need to. Just make shure your ferment temps are within the yeast range and doesnt drop out before its done fermenting within the first week. Cold crashing is more ideal for dryhopping for me personally, either way if its going to clear then its going to clear in the bottle with conditoning and lagering/refrigerating without cold crashing it anyway. If Im fermenting in cool temps I like to raise the temps some near the end to enshure fermentation is complete, if cloudyness is an issue then I may cold crash it but I normally dont but I do often if Im kegging. Alot of times the beer could be hazy anyway according to some recipes and malts or even alot of hops. That said, nothing would hurt to do a few weeks or more bottle-conditoning in the fridge after room temp bottle carbonating/conditioning.

I have never cold crashed yet. I primary until the beer clears or longer if I am not ready to bottle.
The next time I use WY3711 cold crashing will be considered. WY3711 does not compact very well on the bottom of the fermentor. I ended up with to much yeast in the bottles. The yeast is very tasty though, just makes my saison hazy.

It sounds like it would work, but i would prefer not to delay drinking for an extra week if it doesnt make a big difference. So i think i will see how it clears up on its own before deciding if it needs it.

It sounds like it would work, but i would prefer not to delay drinking for an extra week if it doesnt make a big difference. So i think i will see how it clears up on its own before deciding if it needs it.

What are you trying to accomplish? Stopping the yeast from finishing to leave some specific character (common technique for a few styles) or just clarity and compact sedimentation?

I cold crash just about every beer I make except fresh yeasty styles like wit or hefe... for me it's typically just for clarity and compact sedimentation prior to racking off the cake/trub.

I cold crash everything for about a week. My "light" colored ales are crystal clear like a BMC. For stouts and porters it just helps to settle the trub. I do it because I have a small fridge that lets me do it. So why not?

I only had to cold crash one brew because it was in the primary for two months and would not clear up. I cold crashed it in a tub of ice for two days and it cleared right up.

Back