Do you carbonate per style guidelines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't so far but for the stout I'm about to bottle I'm going to reduce the sugar to reduce carbonation and (hopefully!) improve mouth-feel... the last batch using a default amount was a little over-carbonated for a stout.

When I bottle, I do. When I keg it goes on serving pressure and stays there. I don't have the ability to pressurize different kegs differently.

It really depends on the style of the beer. If I'm doing a historical beer, or Belgian or some sort of special beer, then I usually do. Especially Belgians where they tend to taste better when highly carbed.

BUT if you look at the carbonation range for most ales you will notice that most of the "average" gravity ale styles we drink (and probably most lagers too) that in their ranges they all seem to overlap in the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 and that most kit beers or even instructions usually calls for the amount of priming sugar (usually 1oz/gallon or it's equivalent volume measurement if it's given in cups) to achieve that range.

So you'll find often that "carbing to style" for most beer styles will be similar unless you opt for the extreme ends of the ranges.

I started doing this after I figured out I didn't have to use the whole 5oz package of corn sugar supplied by the LBS.

Then I started using table sugar, when I figured out it was cheaper.

I do. I like my darker beers a little lower on the carb spectrum and my lighter fruiter beers to have a bit more. I specifically bought a 4 bank secondary regulator so I can carb each keg individually. Personal preference though, doubt most people notice.

I do. I like my darker beers a little lower on the carb spectrum and my lighter fruiter beers to have a bit more. I specifically bought a 4 bank secondary regulator so I can carb each keg individually. Personal preference though, doubt most people notice.

personal preference and the finer points is one of the reasons we choose to make it ourselves.

ok so i have made a sam adams cold snap clone type beer. i am kegging any idea on what carb level should be. 2.5 is my guess.

I definitely do. I have a 3-way secondary regulator in my kegerator so I can keep all 3 kegs at different pressures if that's required.

It's a witbier... so 2.1-2.4

CarbonationStyleChart.jpg~original

i am carbing the keg at about 66 degrees, due to finishing my kegerator. how many days approx. at this temp and and pressure before reducing pressure or taking off co2 till i can begin to serve?

A few batches ago, I started using an online calculator to prime bottles to style, and have been somewhat frustrated. Just about every one has come out seriously undercarbed (which I suppose is better than gushers or grenades). I'm considering going back to a uniform 1oz/gal.

i am carbing the keg at about 66 degrees, due to finishing my kegerator. how many days approx. at this temp and and pressure before reducing pressure or taking off co2 till i can begin to serve?

Never?

If you reduce the pressure and/or take it off the gas, it will go flat.

If you put it in the cold kegerator, then you purge and adjust the pressure to the correct psi, but you still keep it on the gas.

Never?

If you reduce the pressure and/or take it off the gas, it will go flat.

If you put it in the cold kegerator, then you purge and adjust the pressure to the correct psi, but you still keep it on the gas.

ok. any ideas on how long it would be ready before carbed enough to drink?

Back