Do you boil your yeast starter in the flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi_brewer

Reaction score
I have a 2L Erlenmeyer from Midwest Supplies. Currently I am boiling my starter wort in a sauce pan, then pour it into the flask using a sanitized funnel.

I have a gas stove and would like to cut out the sauce pan and funnel if possible, but I am hesitant to start boiling wort in the flask unless I know that it's definitely not going to shatter.

So, do you boil in your flask?!

Yep, but it depends on your flask. A good borosilicate glass flask should be fine directly on a gas stove, but even with good quality glass quick heating and cooling cycles will shorten the life of the flask. I'm not trying to save my erlenmeyer flask for my grandkids, though, so I've never worried about it and have had no trouble boiling on my gas stove.

i ALWAYS boil in the flask directly on my gas stove. Full blast boil, directly into an ice bath. Works every time.

1. Place empty flask on gram scale and zero scale
2. Load in desired amount of DME (100g for a 1L starter, 200g for 2L, etc)
3. Fill flask with water to reach starter level
4. Boil 10 minutes
5. Cover with foil for last 2-3 minutes of boil to sanitize.
6. Dunk in ice bath to chill
7. Pitch yeast and put on stir plate.

Basically no cleanup or extra dishes.

Is it just like this?

Straight from the website: "It features a heat-resistant borosilicate glass flask, which allows you to boil, cool, and ferment the starter wort in the same vessel."

Should give you a little more peace of mind.

Two more points, when you put it in the ice water don't let the cold water level go above the inner hot wort and USE an anti-foaming agent!!! It will boil over fast if your not careful. Sorry, can't remember the name if the anti foam stuff atm....

VB

Also, from personal experience, I'd suggest you follow Strat-Thru-Marshall's advice.

Don't do what I did and start your water boiling then pour your dme into the flask. Instant wort volcano all over the stove.

What about an electric cooktop (smooth ceramic)? I was going to experiment on it with water and a sink full of cold water sometime soon. Middle school science taught me that it would likely shatter going from one temp extreme to another.

What about an electric cooktop (smooth ceramic)? I was going to experiment on it with water and a sink full of cold water sometime soon. Middle school science taught me that it would likely shatter going from one temp extreme to another.

I use mine on a "glass" top electric stove with no problem. Where the element is under the glas. I think you shouldn't use it on an electric with the coil type elements only.

It will undoubtedly cause more stress to the glass, but not necessarily so much more that it won't work. Ultimately, a lot of it depends on your flask and on your stove. Give it a shot, but of course always be careful.

Gas heat should be fine - not sure about smooth ceramic, but I lost a flask recently (good one, too!). After research, I found they are not supposed to be used on electric elements. I never found the "why?" because borosilicate from heat to cold should be fine. But they can and WILL crack and break when used on electric elements.

ultravista said:
strat_thru_marshall - what brand and model # flask do you have? Mine is a Pyrex 4980.

not sure, It's 2L and was $29 at the LHBS, not a high end model or anything. It is borosilicate glass, just not Pyrex brand. I don't think it has any brand markings, I'll check it out when I get home.

Back