Do we have any pilots or aviation enthusiasts in here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a military pilot and have been doing it for 13 years. Flying is my first love and my wife is jealous of that ;). I couldn't imagine not flying almost every day, and thankfully the cost for me is free...well on the wallet that is

I was stationed at Vance and still own a home in Enid! Small world!

Another pilot brewer checking in. Riddle grad with 3k+ hours CMEI, A&P. Currently fly a Glasair III. So when I'm not brewin, you know where I'll be. ;)

Here is a good blog post playing down the hype of lasers. Still bad to do but good reading https://jethead.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/airline-scare-in-the-air-laser-mythology/

Hmm. I find his reasoning suspect. For example:

"The only way possible to get the light square into my eyes would be to somehow determine my exact landing aimpoint on the runway (not possible) and stand precisely there, aiming the light perfectly into my face"

That's simply not true. It assumes that the aircraft is pointing straight at the touchdown zone (i.e., in a nose-down attitude), with the pilot staring straight at the runway threshold. Of course, a plane on approach is actually in a slight nose-up attitude, and the pilot is looking straight ahead (for traffic). There are multiple locations from which someone could shine a laser beam that would land squarely on the pilot's face. What about an apartment building farther away that happens to be perfectly in line with the runway heading?

Then there's this:

"First, we fly near much brighter flashes, sometimes right in our face, as we pass thunderheads at night. That’s just routine. A laser, by contrast, has a fraction of the candle power"

Does it? A lightning bolt lasts a tiny fraction of a second and spreads out in all directions. A laser beam is highly focused and lasts indefinitely. As for the energy level, the whole point of a laser is that it is extremely focused and concentrated. Has he actually done the math to work out how much energy his retina is absorbing? It sure doesn't sound like it based on this quote.

Airline pilot for 3 years, cargo pilot for 3 years, been flying for a total of 11 years.

Currently driving the MIGHTY Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ).

Flying is definitely a bug you catch, just like brewing and I still love it after 11 years.

No matter how long the ground stop, how long the deicing delay, or how frustrated my coworkers/passengers can get, I still love what I do and can't think of much else that I'd enjoy as much as flying.

Now, time to head home and BREW!!

I played flight simulator years ago with my buddy. He was super serious and I just F*cked around. He is a pilot now. I hate flying (unless I have parachute).

Airline pilot for 3 years, cargo pilot for 3 years, been flying for a total of 11 years.

Currently driving the MIGHTY Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ).

Flying is definitely a bug you catch, just like brewing and I still love it after 11 years.

No matter how long the ground stop, how long the deicing delay, or how frustrated my coworkers/passengers can get, I still love what I do and can't think of much else that I'd enjoy as much as flying.

Now, time to head home and BREW!!

What version of avionics in your CRJs?

You like the avionics? I work at Rockwell Collins. Dad was a private pilot. I decided I couldn't afford it as a hobby and my medical would have caused issues anyway. But the only memorial to my dad is at Oshkosh and I certainly grew up with it. Most of my career at RC has been on the government side with radios but I am on a rotation now on the commercial avionics side now.

RC Gen av, as was hubby, for over 30 years. Actually both worked on the first RC GA FMS 850 on the Beech Starship...if you remember that little endeavor, you are dating yourself....as I just did.

I would totally love to join the fraternity. But it has not been within my budget at a time when other things did not take priority...... Though the thought of bad weather conditions during flight makes me pucker up!!!!

Airline pilot here, Went to Riddle out of HS in 1986, I fly the B757 and B767 for American Airlines now.

I was hit by a laser while on approach int Ottawa a few years back and although it was bright and startled me a bit it didn't hurt me in any way. I'm not sure if it was a direct hit or not so I won't go as far to say that it's not a concern.

Back