Do lower ABV beers benifit from aging/cellaring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrakeleyBrewing

Reaction score
I recently got my hands on some extra corny kegs, and I am already thinking about what I want to be drinking this winter. I know I can brew barley wine, big stouts, strong scotch ale etc, keg them and throw them in the basement. But what about beers in the 4.5-6 percent ABV range?

I was thinking of doing a porter, a breakfast stout and some smaller english/scottish beers for the winter. Would they be better if I brewed them now and bulk aged them, or is it pointless with smaller beers? Also, I want to start entering in more competitions, so if it helps at all, I'll do it.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I think it has more to do with the style than the proof. For example, while a highly hopped beer would keep for a long time, the hop flavor starts to disappear, making it not an ideal candidate. I have a relatively low ABV Chocolate Coffee Stout that I made for the past couple years, and the longer they sit the better they taste. I think your porter and stout would not only be fine aging that long, but would benefit from it.

Flavored mellow over time. If you like bright flavors, drink them quick. If you like more subdued, smooth flavors, let them age. I think most of the reason high ABV beers are pushed to age is that they are less susceptible to infection. If your sanitation is solid I say brew a 4-5% malty beer and push it out to 6 months and see what you think.

Back