Do I really need boiling wort to sanitize chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
Just as the subject line reads. Is it really necessary to run boiling wort through the chiller to sanitize it? So many issues it seems with pumps with boiling wort. Why not just shut off the heat source and move onto the sanitization and whirlpool stages? Doesn't pasteurization happen all the way down to 160?

Run it through it? No.

I put my chiller in the boiling wort about 15 minutes before flameout. That is plenty of time to sanitize the outside of the chiller, which is the only part that comes in contact with the wort once it drops to a cool temperature.

Hook up your hoses or water lines before you put it in the boiling wort--and if you have any water left in the chiller, look out as it may be ejected as steam or boiling water.

You could, I suppose, clean the external parts of the chiller and then dunk in star san, but boiling it works as well. When I'm done chilling I remove the chiller, cover the kettle so nothing bad gets in, and immediately take it to a sink to rinse it off. I scrub off any hop residue that might be on the risers, rinse again, and that's that. The next time, it'll be sanitized by boiling--the boiling wort.

Presumably the OP has either a PC or a CFC.

One doesn't need to use boiling wort, given sufficient time 160°F is probably as effective...

Cheers!

I figured as much. I never did like the sound of the pump chugging boiling wort through it anyway. Cheers!

The wort doesn't have to be boiling but you'll kill the heat source and recirc the near boiling wort through it. It only takes 2 minutes as long as your cooling water isn't turned on.

The wort doesn't have to be boiling but you'll kill the heat source and recirc the near boiling wort through it. It only takes 2 minutes as long as your cooling water isn't turned on.

Thanks bobby. Loving the topsflo 24 v pump btw. Great product.

If your kettle outlet piping allows for it, you can just as easily gravity flow hot wort through your chiller to sterilize it. No pumping required. Catch the effluent from the chiller in a small sauce pan as it passes through and dump it back it the kettle. Easy peasey and now pumping.

This is actually the SOP on my system for draining into my fermenter.

Back