Do i re-pitch small starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freerent

Reaction score
So on two different brews I had no carb in my bottles. Both were Imperial Stouts w/ an OG of 1.086. Finished @ 1.015. I let the first sit in secondary for 2 months and let the second batch sit in secondary for a month. I bottled with two cooper tabs in 22oz bottles for the first batch and then 4 tabs per bottle in the second. Let condition at 70 F for six weeks. Both batches had no carb. Next time I think I need to re-pitch a small starter. Do you agree?

Ditto on the caps. I find it very hard to believe that the 4 carb tabs disolved in your beer without some form of co2 build up. Also, in case you haven't found this out yet, don't use screw top bottles since they are hard to get a good seal on.

Big beers require patience - look at the bottling sticky or any thread on this issue Revvy has replied to. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer would take 3 months to carb up - there should be enough yeast around to carb it up. If you are concerned about the yeast health add a 1/3 to 1/2 a packet of dry yeast to a 5 gal batch, but if you pitched properly to begin with you shouldn't need more. I've always used priming sugar in the whole batch so I cannot help with the coopers tabs.

+ 1 to more time! Also there are threads on the hit or miss carbonation using tabs, next time batch prime with priming sugar:)

Latest posts

Back